Test-conversion --> forum slowdown?

raytrails

I'm thinking of doing a "test-conversion" from vB 3.8 to XF 1.0, and I know you should deactivate the old forum before starting the process. But are there any significant problems that can arise if I just do the conversion without deactivating the vB forum? Will it slow down the old forum?

I would recommend closing the forum to stop the database being written to while you're reading from it for the import.

How big is the forum - posts, thread, etc?

I'm thinking of doing a "test-conversion" from vB 3.8 to XF 1.0, and I know you should deactivate the old forum before starting the process. But are there any significant problems that can arise if I just do the conversion without deactivating the vB forum? Will it slow down the old forum?
The import process is pretty intensive, so you should expect some degree of slow-down, but I doubt it would be unmanageable. You can work with a live source, but you'll end up with some odd results towards the end, where user post counts are not correct, forum last post info is out of date etc. Better is to back up your live database and do a test import using a copy.

Thanks for the input, guys. It's a forum with 114k posts and 12.5k threads. I guess it's best to do a backup and then test with the copy.

I'm running a test import now and we have to import 5 mill posts. Got about 500k done already in the first 30 min so you won't have much downtime at all.

Thanks for the input, guys. It's a forum with 114k posts and 12.5k threads. I guess it's best to do a backup and then test with the copy.
I'd estimate about 10-15 minutes of downtime to do the import from start to finish.

The following is the result of testing the new IPB importer on a database with 300,000 posts and around 40,000 threads on two different servers:

macpro left, hackintosh right.webp

Top Bottom