1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Template Rebuild Fails With Apache. Works With LiteSpeed. How To Fix?

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by TheBigK, Jun 23, 2013.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

I recently installed LiteSpeed through WHM plugin and it's working great so far. The only issue is that when I switch back to Apache, I get errors while recompiling the templates. It works fine with LiteSpeed.

Here's the error I'm getting when I rebuild templates with Apache working-

Code:
    file_put_contents(/home/USER/public_html/internal_data/templates/S.1,L.1,ad_below_content.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
    file_put_contents() in XenForo/Template/FileHandler.php at line 95
    XenForo_Template_FileHandler->_saveTemplate() in XenForo/Template/FileHandler.php at line 50
    XenForo_Template_FileHandler::save() in XenForo/Model/Template.php at line 1116
    XenForo_Model_Template->compileAndInsertParsedTemplate() in TMS/Model/Template.php at line 183
    TMS_Model_Template->compileAndInsertParsedTemplate() in XenForo/Model/Template.php at line 1029
    XenForo_Model_Template->compileTemplateInStyleTree() in XenForo/Model/Template.php at line 983
    XenForo_Model_Template->compileNamedTemplateInStyleTree() in XenForo/Model/Template.php at line 923
    XenForo_Model_Template->compileAllTemplates() in TMS/Model/Template.php at line 121
    TMS_Model_Template->compileAllTemplates() in XenForo/CacheRebuilder/Template.php at line 55
    XenForo_CacheRebuilder_Template->rebuild() in XenForo/ControllerHelper/CacheRebuild.php at line 26
    XenForo_ControllerHelper_CacheRebuild->rebuildCache() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Tools.php at line 78
    XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Tools->actionCacheRebuild() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 313
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/USER/public_html/admin.php at line 13
    It seems to be a a permissions error and I want things to work smoothly under Apache & LiteSpeed. Would appreciate help in fixing this issue.

------------------

My WebHost has given me a specific question I should ask. Here it goes-

Currently there are permissions errors when doing certain actions on the site.
    There are several 777 folders in public_html and many subfolders that are also

Inside these subfolders there are files such as the ones in
    data/avatars/s/164/ that appear to have mixed ownership and permissions that
    is likely causing problems:

-rw-r--r-- 1 crazzzz nobody 1556 Jun 21 22:34 164879.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 crazzzz nobody 1297 Jun 22 03:15 164880.jpg

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody nobody 1547 Jun 22 17:39 164887.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 crazzzz crazzzz 1694 Jun 22 22:42 164888.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 crazzzz crazzzz 1694 Jun 23 14:48 164893.jpg

I can fix the permissions on the files but my question is what the permissions
    are supposed to be and in what locations.

If the permissions and ownership are being set incorrectly at times would he
    like us to try to use Filesystem ACL's to set the default permissions for
    files that are created to be 664 instead of 644?

Would he like us to use the group sticky bit on folders to ensure that they
    are owned by the group nobody?

How is this ownership and group ownership currently being set?

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

They are set based on how you run your server to what is the most sane default. In some cases, this is 0644, in others it's 0666. You can override this by adding this to your config.php:

$config['chmodWritableValue'] = 0666;

That will force everything created by XF from then on to be 0666 (or 0777 for directories).

3. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Could we get answers to following questions?

1) Where does the php script set the chown user, is that also in config.php?

2) In order to fix the current permissions I need to know what are all the files/file locations that need to be writable by php, whether to be created changed or deleted.

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

1. The files are created by the web server, so the owner and permissions will be set by the php handler and however that is configured. (for example, on my server the php handler is run under a specific user account, to keep the owner and group the same)

2. The data and internal_data folders and all files in them.

5. dbembibre

dbembibre Active Member

If you have access via SSH change the permissions directly. type ps aux | grep httpd
    look under that account the process httpd is running, for example is the nobody account simply change the owner of all files with the following command.
    chown -R nobody data
    chown -R nobody internal_data
    If you want to set permissions to all files in this directory.
    chmod -R 755 data
    chmod -R 755 internal_data

TheBigK likes this.