• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fixed Template modification key prevents add-on install

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Just did some diff comparisons on the new code.

It's this:

PHP:
if (preg_match('/[^a-zA-Z0-9_]/', $key))
{
    $this->error(new XenForo_Phrase('please_enter_an_id_using_only_alphanumeric'), 'modification_key');
    return false;
}
The verification of the template modification key.

I never knew that it wasn't already constrained to those characters, but it was. Seems like Extra Portal has modification keys such as:
add simpleportal promotelink

It tends to be the description copy and pasted, it seems.

HWS

The modification key always had this restrictions in its description. It seems like a bug fix, because this should always have been checked.

Anyway: This problem is caused by Extra Portal and has to be fixed by its developer.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The modification key always had this restrictions in its description.
That's not entirely true. The description on the page at is (and always has been as far as I can remember): This is used to uniquely identify a modification across add-on upgrades.

But you're right. It's a reasonable change for XF to have made and would be an add-on fix.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
This wasn't actually supposed to trigger when installing or upgrading an add-on. It was mostly to get the add-on developers to be aware of it when creating or changing. I just forgot that, of course, this check would run on installation of an add-on.

So the check now only runs when you try to edit the modification (which would require a change to push anything through).