As designed Template History Coming Back From The Dead

⭐ Alex ⭐

Affected version
This is odd, when I revert my template to the base version, the template history disappears. (Good.)
1604757177588.png

But then when I paste in my new version and click save then view history, for some reason a huge change log appears. Not sure what's going on, previous templates didn't do this, it would just have one change registered (base to current).
1604757308826.png

I think this is generally as designed. Template history essentially relates to the template by its name and the style it's in. Reverting a template doesn't delete the history, but we have an explicit decision not to show the view history button if the template isn't customized in the style on the basis that it's potentially more confusing (and it may also relate to how the history is fetched). When the template is re-edited, because it's based on name/style, the previous history will remain accessible.

The alternative would essentially be deleting the history when a template is reverted, which has the potential to obliterate very useful data which then won't be recoverable. That seems like a worse trade off to me.

Top Bottom