TBGclan.com | True Born Gaming an Adult PC Gaming Community

rainmotorsports

Alright so I wasn't announcing this until the end of the year but our badly written theme got stolen before I could even rewrite it. So please bear with the issues the sites design has until we can sort them out.

Feel free to check us out @ www.tbgclan.com

Our Software History
TBG was founded January 2008 using the e107 platforum for the site and forums. As the community grew the site moved onto vBulletin 3. I personally joined the community just before the conversion to vBulletin 4. Late into vBulletin 4 we started needing custom development. I started pitching in a little here and there but in the end we needed to get of vBulletin. We switched to Xenforo on January 1st and never looked back.

Screenshots from previous platforms:
tbgclan6.webp FireShot Screen Capture #042 - 'TBGClan' - www_tbgclan_com.webp

New Design:
Initially we hired the same talented designer that worked on our friends site http://www.47r-squad.com/ (Likely none of those themes are currently default however). Unfortunately due to language issues and our member base not wanting to change the theme all that much we canceled the design.

I took to the vb3/vb4 images which were all non transparent PNG's and began slicing. Luckily the bullet hole and flame brushes were not hard to find.

Some Images I started from:
footer-left.webp
footer-right.webp header3-right.webp

I really wanted everything to be a separate element for future changes, right down to the shadows:
shadowtopleft.webp

Challenges
Making XenPorta work on mobile with 3 columns was fun. I created a JQuery script that moves the left column down beside the right column to make things a little easier while retaining the full front page. Unfortunately I still haven't fixed what happens if a notice is displayed and the window is resized.

Unfinished work in progress
Initially doing this for free as a member of the community I ended up wasting a lot of time. The only thing I had ready for launch day was the header footer, margins and the containers for the forum listing. So I spent 8 hours the morning of the conversion adding most of the missing work. It is to this day a horrible job but it will be redone soon.

Known Issues with the old theme:
- XenPorta modification for responsive has issues with notices.
- Gallery plugin needs theme work.
- Pure Drop down menus are useless in responsive.

Anyways I have been working on a complete from scratch redo of the theme. Along with working on plugins. I will post updates as I get around to them. I am am sorely disappointed that our theme getting stolen makes me showcase this here early.

Last edited:
One thing to add, your Top link in the footer doesn't work. Just in case you missed it m8. Looking forward to your updates.

One thing to add, your Top link in the footer doesn't work. Just in case you missed it m8. Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks. Yeah its because of the floating navigation which was done horribly enough as it is. But it's just that the top link references navigation rather than the real top of the page I believe. Will be fixed when the new theme is installed.

Alright I just got done shoving the majority of what was done on the theme rewrite into the old theme to fix several issues. @DEZero - Thanks for pointing out the top link bug it is now fixed.

Floating Navigation has been completely redone and now works on mobile as well as fixing some design issues with high resolution monitors and other bits.

Changes
- Returned to an absolute positioned header rather than the troublesome static header.
- Search drop down is now available on mobile
- Floating Navigation is now available on mobile
- Floating Navigation fixed on high resolution monitors
- Floating Navigation now adjusts for logged in versus guest.
- Fixed Day 1 bug on top shadow.
- Username visitor tab changes to avatar on mobile to reduce space used.
- Go to Top link now works with Floating Navigation

Known Issues
- Search popup on mobile may be covered by inbox/alert links.

Man, this site's look takes me back. Reminds me of the vBadvanced gaming portals with the 3 columns.

I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing though.

Man, this site's look takes me back. Reminds me of the vBadvanced gaming portals with the 3 columns.

I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing though.

A little bit of both. But thats what we migrated from so of course it looks like that. Its an aging theme that I am dying to replace. Good luck getting the members to allow it. I wouldn't mind dropping to a 2 column. If it wasn't for the server block being so huge I would drop things like facebook and twitter under the recent threads and merge the sidebars.

Top Bottom