XF 2.2 'Target File Already Exists' when trying to transfer 'upload' folder to FileZilla new directory.

grobmad

Greetings.

So I am trying to follow these instructions

So, I got to the part where I created a new directory under public_html, named it 'New Directory', and went to xenforo's 'upload' folder, and dragged them into the new directory.

As they are going there, I get a notification that 'Target File Already Exists'.... and it gives me two files that have identical sizes but different names. It then gives me a range of options which include renaming it, overwriting it, resume, skip, ect.

I hit 'cancel', because Im an idiot and I figured it would allow me to start over, but instead it keeps going.... and another one pops up with the same message, and since I did it on the first one I do it again and hit 'cancel', and again it proceeds to transfer files. This happens three times in the process.

Anyone know why this happens, know what option I should choose when they pop up, and happen to know if I made a huge error by hitting cancel?

Am I able to 'try again'?

Any help would be greatly, greatly, appreciated.

Thank you.

Update :

So the noticed popped up probably 50 more times, I clicked 'cancel' each time. It kept transfering everything.

It has completed the transfer, and says that there are no failed files.

I will also head to FileZilla forums to see if they have any ideas as to what happened and what I should do from here.

As always, if anyone has any ideas or knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have been scouring google for an answer, this is one of the few I could find addressing the issue, and one of the only ones that made sense to me (me being a novice)

"
Sometimes an individual file will fail to upload, triggering a retry by the client, but the file already exists on the server from the first attempt.
"

After uploading all the files, make sure the files and directories have the right permissions. See the manual for that:

But the installation would point that out for you if necessary.

If nothing was pointed out during the installation about permissions, yet, when I go to my domain url, I get the normal looking page ("under construction") and if I go to domainurl/install/ I get "404 Not Found", is there a way I can find out where I screwed up?

I wonder if this means I got either my 'host' wrong, or my username wrong, at the top of filezilla. I put my servers IP as my 'host' for filezilla. Wonder if I should just change that to my websites url? The directions I was following made it seem like I could use either.

The ip instead of your domain name is no problem.

You can try to enter the same ip in your browser instead of the domain name so you are sure you are going to your new install.

Can you post a screenshot of your files and folders on the server?

And it would help if you post the URL so I can check it out.

If you are comfortable with it you can send me the server info of your domain via dm so I can take a look if you keep running into problems.

If nothing was pointed out during the installation about permissions, yet, when I go to my domain url, I get the normal looking page ("under construction") and if I go to domainurl/install/ I get "404 Not Found", is there a way I can find out where I screwed up?
in your 1st post you said that you uploaded xF files into a 'New Directory' under public_html.
so I guess you should go not to domainurl/install/ but to domainurl/New Directory/install/

As they are going there, I get a notification that 'Target File Already Exists'.... and it gives me two files that have identical sizes but different names.
This is exactly why I dumped filezilla.

Try WinSCP instead.

If you have cPanel, upload the zip archive using the File Manager app and extract directly on the server.

The ip instead of your domain name is no problem.

You can try to enter the same ip in your browser instead of the domain name so you are sure you are going to your new install.

Can you post a screenshot of your files and folders on the server?

And it would help if you post the URL so I can check it out.

If you are comfortable with it you can send me the server info of your domain via dm so I can take a look if you keep running into problems.

- When I try to enter my IP in my browser, it says
"This is default server vhost. There is nothing here."

- Yes, I will get a few screenshots and post them later this afternoon, thank you.

- Sure thing, thank you. The domain Im trying to get going is www.youniverse.media

- A huge thank you for your offer, I will keep that in mind.

I cant express how grateful I am for the help. Much appreciated.

This is exactly why I dumped filezilla.

Try WinSCP instead.

If you have cPanel, upload the zip archive using the File Manager app and extract directly on the server.

Hmmm, thank you.

I will try WinSCP.

If I already have transferred the files through filezilla (though incorrectly obviously), do you think I have to delete them from filezilla before I start doing anything through winscp?

If the files are uploaded then you likely don't have to do it again.

If there are any missing or corrupt, it will become apparent during or after installation.
The file health check function will identify any.

If you want the forum to be at the domain root - e.g. site.com, then typically the files are uploaded to the public_html directory.

Your host will be able to advise what the actual domain root directory is.

Does anyone think if my username was wrong, that it would effect this? Seems like I have two usernames on my server, maybe I entered the wrong one.

If its not that.... I wonder if me creating the sub directory to public_html messed things up.

I dont know what else it could be.

I was thinking maybe me hitting 'cancel' on the file transfer messed things up, but I did what dude said and retransferred them with them overwriting everything.

hmmm. I will come back with lots of screenshots.

Thank you.

Top Bottom