Tapatalk or Forumrunner?

I was contacted by Internet Brands again mid Feb to renew the Forumrunner branded license. I passed this year because:
* Custom mods no longer supported (we have a couple)
* Very poor ad support - one ad per the whole app - and no pans to improve
* Fewer features than Tapatalk
* Owned by Internet Brands

Whereas Tapatalk supports notifications, forum and thread targeted DFP ads. and they have bent over backwards to get us to switch.

So I recommend you check out Tapatalk.

For branded app Tapatalk now charges 39$/month, that's 470 bucks per year for iphone+android. And that's just a branded app, no customization nothing. That's a great deal of money. But then again, I'm in the same boat as you, there are no alternatives. My forumrunner app doesn't get updated, I don't know how long I can get people using it...

Yes of course... I think you can spend upwards of $20,000 developing a branded app, this is a reasonable price and Tapatalk looks much much more professional than forumrunner.

I'm not arguing against the value of a mobile app, but we are talking about forums where the forum script itself costs a couple of hundred bucks upfront and that's it. So a mobile app that just supports that forum and does nothing else, would have much better luck priced similar to the forum script itself.

I am running both on my VB forum and from a users point of view they much prefer TapaTalk. However from an owners point of view if I ever start a new forum there would be no way on earth I would consider installing either of them. I have most of my TataTalk members using it 100% of the time so this presents the following problems for me. It does not interface with any mods and some of the core forum features are not visible or usable. So now you end up always having to work around these users with anything you do to enhance the forum in anyway. They become sort of ghost members that you will struggle with in trying to communicate forum rules and function too.

It is almost as if you running two separate forums one with your forum software and features and another basic database integration forum. I have thought long and hard about removing it on my forum but for the few that actually use it they way it should be (80% PC and 20% TapaTalk) I have not.

Top Bottom