Talk Depression

Lee

i am playing around with launching a new community:

Would anybody like to give me some feedback on the design so far?

It is a work in progress, but I figure i'd get some input before progressing too far.

Well, it doesn't look at all depressing so that's a great start. Tasteful colors and presentation. No nonsense, easy to find what you're looking for organization.

No favicon, 404 error returned there.

Footer is still native xF color, clashes with established theme.

I'd think about some node icons either fontawesome ones or image based ones from flaticon.com. Those would be called per node, in extra.less. Flaticon has some great icons.

I'd say you're off to a pretty good start!

Glad to see you back @Lee, I was wondering where you'd disappeared to.!

I'm not overly keen on the design, it's a bit too "light and fluffy" for the subject at hand.. I think that's why I really liked your Lifespot design, it was very bright but continued to carry a "serious" tone.

I agree with nerdface, i like it but not the pink line and the fading blue up the top background.

Otherwise its very neat and tidy, looking good.

Glad to see you back @Lee, I was wondering where you'd disappeared to.!

I'm not overly keen on the design, it's a bit too "light and fluffy" for the subject at hand.. I think that's why I really liked your Lifespot design, it was very bright but continued to carry a "serious" tone.

Thanks for the concern. I've been struggling with mental illness massively over the last few months and I just had to get away from it all.

I have been off work too! Literally became a recluse. Anyway, I digress.

Thank you for the feedback - let me know if you will be hanging around :)

Thanks for the concern. I've been struggling with mental illness massively over the last few months and I just had to get away from it all.

I have been off work too! Literally became a recluse. Anyway, I digress.

Thank you for the feedback - let me know if you will be hanging around :)
I'm sorry to hear about your health taking a turn for the worse, PM me and we can talk.

Of course I'll be sticking around bud, anything I can do to support.

Well, it doesn't look at all depressing so that's a great start. Tasteful colors and presentation. No nonsense, easy to find what you're looking for organization.

No favicon, 404 error returned there.

Footer is still native xF color, clashes with established theme.

I'd think about some node icons either fontawesome ones or image based ones from flaticon.com. Those would be called per node, in extra.less. Flaticon has some great icons.

I'd say you're off to a pretty good start!

I've sorted the issue with the footer and applied some custom icons.

I'll sort the favicon issue soon.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

EDIT: Favicon sorted too.

Last edited:
Hey, while I think you're off to a good start, I'm not a fan of the use on the left side border. Are you saving the left-side margin for something?

Also, when viewing your site on mobile, the logo is entirely too small and washes into the yellow navigation bar. Perhaps consider having something more legible so that it's more accessible to others to read.

As someone who suffers from severe anxiety and depression and only recently attempted to take my own life, I think these type of websites are important, they give you the opportunity to talk about your issues in a non-judgemental environment.

Overall, I like the look and feel of your website but don't like the whole Easter logo but I suppose that was just this time of year - although I am sure you are aware those type of things can be triggers e.g. any holiday/festive season where someone has been left on their own, where they have no family around etc

But apart from that, I think it looks great.

I have taken on board every single piece of feedback offered to me in this thread.

I will be removing the themed logo today, but I wanted to provide an update on the progress.

I have moved in a slightly different direction as I started to implement things that theme frameworks already offer.

Screenshot_2019-05-18-10-08-47-010.jpeg

This new revision is based on Intrepid by @Mike Creuzer and @ThemeHouse.

Their framework is super easy to work with and provides me with enough tools so as to not reinvent the wheel.

Interested to know everyones thoughts on the new direction.

https://www.talkdepression.org.uk if you want to check this out yourself.

I'm creating a community using the Xenith framework from ThemeHouse- those guys have some really great stuff!

And I like the entire concept of your forum @Lee. I also think it's important that considering the niche - that the bright & cheery color scheme you have chosen is quite appropriate for the niche. Genius actually, as it does give a welcoming feel overall. And if you need assistance with the logo or forum icons branding - I'll be happy to donate some creativity to ya ;)

At anyrate - I too have dealt with mental health issues. For well over a decade now. And I can attest that the struggle is super-real. But also - finally there's a semblance of hope as far as my progress is concerned. So yes! Absolutely agree that communities like the one you're building Lee is quite important - not only for the community of people dealing with mental health issues - but also for your own mental health well being. Creating and flourishing such a site to success can have immediate beneficial ramifications for your own mental health which is to say it can be quite therapeutic.

So here's wishing you all the success in the world with it.
Cheers dude!

J.

I like it's bright look, don't know what effect it has on its target members, but it's tasteful and pleasant. It's an excellent topic to work on, keep on building it, this type of forums are serving a really great purpose. It's the community and support that many people with depression need.

Keep up the great work ;)

Its not loading for me.

Code:
Fatal error: Uncaught XF\Db\Exception: Connection refused in /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php:160 Stack trace: #0 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(28): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->makeConnection(Array) #1 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(60): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->getConnection() #2 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(113): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->connect() #3 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(516): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->escapeString('options') #4 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(494): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote('options') #5 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(138): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote(Array) #6 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(83): XF\DataRegistry->readFromDb(Array, Array) #7 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(226): XF\DataRegistry->get(Array) #8 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/App.php(1643): XF\DataRegistry->offsetGet('options') # in /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php on line 160

Its not loading for me.

Code:
Fatal error: Uncaught XF\Db\Exception: Connection refused in /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php:160 Stack trace: #0 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(28): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->makeConnection(Array) #1 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(60): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->getConnection() #2 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php(113): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->connect() #3 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(516): XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter->escapeString('options') #4 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php(494): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote('options') #5 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(138): XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->quote(Array) #6 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(83): XF\DataRegistry->readFromDb(Array, Array) #7 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/DataRegistry.php(226): XF\DataRegistry->get(Array) #8 /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/App.php(1643): XF\DataRegistry->offsetGet('options') # in /home/lifespot/public_html/src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Adapter.php on line 160
Hmm no problem here though.

Nice site; good luck with it. Just a thought, and it seems to apply here. I believe the "profile posts" feature dilutes the value of the community. I think that feature was born about 10 years ago or so and was designed to provide FB-like functionality, because forums were taken by surprise by the exodus away from forums toward social media. Today, I think profile posts serve to distract from the real forum gold, which are the forum threads themselves. For this reason, I use the @AndyB "profile page" add-on.
I don't have any proof that this has a positive effect, and maybe profile posts work better on some forums vs others, but thought I'd share.

Top Bottom