TaigaChat Pro - Realtime chat/shoutbox [Deleted]

Purchased and installed TaigaChat this past weekend and everything worked great. We had an active chat with around 100 members for about 3 hours. We disabled the formatting options for this first chat test/session, but some of them will be enabled next time. We only tested the full chat (standalone page) this time. We also did not use "speed mode" because I wanted to see the worst-case scenario service load/resource wise and it still performed quite well.

As a developer who has also created chat/shoutbox systems, I do have some suggestions:

1) There needs to be a way to scroll up without having the chat window re-scroll to the bottom on the next message. Since the autoscroll feature is necessary, perhaps a temporary disable scroll or pause chat option on the chat page would help? If chat is moving so quickly, trying to read it can be nearly impossible without pause or scroll back ability. This was especially a problem for the moderators trying to edit/delete/ban users and their messages.

2) You really need to add a (idle) timeout for users. Allowing users to remain in chat indefinitely can lead to a huge waste of server resources. Also, the chat becomes a potential DoS attack method by logging in a ton of users and just letting them perform server calls every few seconds until the server gets overloaded and future hits/requests start being queued rather than served.

3) There needs to be a max user limit on the chat. While it is great that using speed mode will let you handle a lot more users, having too many people chatting at the same time is just not feasible or even useful. This is compounded by the lack of a pause or scroll toggle option, but even then, there should be a max option.

4) When you delete a message (probably edit as well), it refreshes the whole screen. You should replace that with an inline action so it does not refresh the screen. Just use javascript to remove or update the line element.

5) You should highlight the lines of the chat where the current user's username is referenced so they can easily spot messages to or about them.

6) You should add an option that sets a flood limit (time between messages) for users, preferably by user group.

I am sure I have more suggestions, but those are the ones that stood out the most.

Despite my suggestions and a few missing features, I was very pleased with TaigaChat last night and so were my users. You have a great addon and I hope you continue building on it! As most sites switch to XenForo, I can see this becoming a must-have addon for a lot of sites.

-Zeras
I'm hoping for almost all of these before I dive in.

Purchased and installed TaigaChat this past weekend and everything worked great. We had an active chat with around 100 members for about 3 hours. We disabled the formatting options for this first chat test/session, but some of them will be enabled next time. We only tested the full chat (standalone page) this time. We also did not use "speed mode" because I wanted to see the worst-case scenario service load/resource wise and it still performed quite well.

As a developer who has also created chat/shoutbox systems, I do have some suggestions:

1) There needs to be a way to scroll up without having the chat window re-scroll to the bottom on the next message. Since the autoscroll feature is necessary, perhaps a temporary disable scroll or pause chat option on the chat page would help? If chat is moving so quickly, trying to read it can be nearly impossible without pause or scroll back ability. This was especially a problem for the moderators trying to edit/delete/ban users and their messages.

2) You really need to add a (idle) timeout for users. Allowing users to remain in chat indefinitely can lead to a huge waste of server resources. Also, the chat becomes a potential DoS attack method by logging in a ton of users and just letting them perform server calls every few seconds until the server gets overloaded and future hits/requests start being queued rather than served.

3) There needs to be a max user limit on the chat. While it is great that using speed mode will let you handle a lot more users, having too many people chatting at the same time is just not feasible or even useful. This is compounded by the lack of a pause or scroll toggle option, but even then, there should be a max option.

4) When you delete a message (probably edit as well), it refreshes the whole screen. You should replace that with an inline action so it does not refresh the screen. Just use javascript to remove or update the line element.

5) You should highlight the lines of the chat where the current user's username is referenced so they can easily spot messages to or about them.

6) You should add an option that sets a flood limit (time between messages) for users, preferably by user group.

I am sure I have more suggestions, but those are the ones that stood out the most.

Despite my suggestions and a few missing features, I was very pleased with TaigaChat last night and so were my users. You have a great addon and I hope you continue building on it! As most sites switch to XenForo, I can see this becoming a must-have addon for a lot of sites.

-Zeras

Did you get any feedback on your ideas? These would take the addon to a whole new level! Hope they make it into it. I'm still putting my site together but will be looking for a nice chat room function pretty soon.

-Zeras

1) Currently 6 seconds of scrolling inactivity (i.e. not moving the scroll bar) are allowed before the auto scrolling resumes. I may increase this and/or make it configurable in the future

2) In previous versions the refresh time progressively increased during inactivity, however this caused confusion and generally led to a poor user experience. With speed mode enabled, it is highly unlikely that even thousands of users could manage to DoS the server running the chat.

3) Should be covered by #6

4) This will be resolved in a future update (currently edits are performed inline, only deletions are not)

5) This is planned

6) Will be adding this :)

@Luke Foreman You sent over 2 emails, one titled
DarkCart Product Delivery: TaigaChat Pro XenForo addon license

and one titled:
DarkCart Product Update: TaigaChat Pro 1.2.0

Is that just because of the timing with the updated release?

@Luke Foreman You sent over 2 emails, one titled
DarkCart Product Delivery: TaigaChat Pro XenForo addon license

and one titled:
DarkCart Product Update: TaigaChat Pro 1.2.0

Is that just because of the timing with the updated release?

Yep you'll want to use the second one, the first quite likely contains inconsistent files

Ref: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/taigachat-pro-realtime-chat-shoutbox-paid.4082

The color picker does not lock up now but after I choose a color and says "saved shoutbox message successfully" the color does not change it just stays black.

Any ideas how I could fix it or remove it, even template edits to remove the option of the color picker it would be ok as I the pallet and named colors still work.
But right now this will only confuse my users when they try and change their text color.

Thx

1) Currently 6 seconds of scrolling inactivity (i.e. not moving the scroll bar) are allowed before the auto scrolling resumes. I may increase this and/or make it configurable in the future

2) In previous versions the refresh time progressively increased during inactivity, however this caused confusion and generally led to a poor user experience. With speed mode enabled, it is highly unlikely that even thousands of users could manage to DoS the server running the chat.

3) Should be covered by #6

4) This will be resolved in a future update (currently edits are performed inline, only deletions are not)

5) This is planned

6) Will be adding this :)
Thank you for the update, Luke!

We desperately need an idle timeout feature though because we won't always use the speed/caching option and even then, we don't want users polling our servers non-stop. Our servers can easily hit our max child connections even with a low server load simply because of the number of requests coming in at the same time. Extra hits, even ones calling static html files, still require a handshake process which ties a port connection up momentarily. I can add support for this myself though so that's not an issue.

We have another big chat planned in the next few days, so I will let you know how everything goes. As I said though, the users and our staff were very happy with TC!

I look forward to more updates :D

-Zeras

Did you get any feedback on your ideas? These would take the addon to a whole new level! Hope they make it into it. I'm still putting my site together but will be looking for a nice chat room function pretty soon.
Looks like we got something better .. we got an update! :D

-Zeras

Ref: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/taigachat-pro-realtime-chat-shoutbox-paid.4082

The color picker does not lock up now but after I choose a color and says "saved shoutbox message successfully" the color does not change it just stays black.

Any ideas how I could fix it or remove it, even template edits to remove the option of the color picker it would be ok as I the pallet and named colors still work.
But right now this will only confuse my users when they try and change their text color.

Thx

Can you PM me your site url and admin cp details?

very nice update.
Im not sure if that have been asked before. but since there is 44 page im asking if it would be possible when you prune that on other people screen it deletes it as well without refresh or that is just simply not possible?

Edit Thanks for your hard work on this and on keeping it updated.

When using Widget Framework, is there a way to get rid of the Members Online widget while keeping the Members In Chat widget?

Also, how do you clear the shoutbox? I have the permission active but there's no dropdown or button.

Thanks.

Top Bottom