1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tags not always leading to notifications

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Bram, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Bram

Bram Well-Known Member

A lot of our members are complaining that the tagging feature in XF1.2 is not working correctly.

We were using the BD Tag Me before but I uninstalled it before upgrading as per the instructions.

Yet I am not able to reproduce it myself as I do get my notifications it seems.

Other people experiencing this as well?
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Tags in quotes or on an edit won't alert the tagged user. Are these the times they are complaining about?
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. Bram

Bram Well-Known Member

Nope its about regular username tags.
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Use the permission analyzer to make sure that people actually have permission to alert users with tags (Maximum tag alerts per message).
  6. Bram

Bram Well-Known Member

Ah thats a good one Mike, thanks!

Previously with the bd tag me addon i have allowed regular users to be able to tag one user per post. Premium members however could tag multiple users at a time.

Does this mean that for example User X that has the option to tag 5 people per message can still tag 10 users but only 5 receive a notification?
  7. Mike

8. Bram

Bram Well-Known Member

Perfect thanks.

Still I have a weird issue @Mike that a certain user cannot be tagged at all by any usergroup.

Shall i file a support ticket so you can have a look at it?
  9. Mike

What do you mean they can't be tagged? What happens?
  10. Bram

Bram Well-Known Member

A user can literraly not be tagged :) When filling in his first name (Antonio) a list of other Antonios show up. However there is no result on the first letter of his lastname.
  11. Mike

The tagging stops after a space (after 8 characters I believe). His name would have to be typed in manually.
    aiman.h.kallaf likes this.
  12. Bram

Bram Well-Known Member

Is there a way to change this character limit? I presume there are more forums out there that require real first and last names to be used :) ?
  13. Mike

I've tweaked it to 10 for 1.2.1, but it's a balance of performance and potential correctness. It's only controlled via a file (bb_code_edit.js).
    Veer and aiman.h.kallaf like this.
  14. Bram

Bram Well-Known Member

I understand that. Thanks for the explanation anyway ill pass on the messages (y)