Tags Capitalization

XenBurger

I have requested that my users properly capitalize tags, because I read a long discussion from developers recently stating that tags being all lowercase was just a "thing that happened" on the web, but there was no rhyme or reason to it. I think capitalized tags look better, present better in Google, and are just a more pleasant way of displaying keywords in text links.

I found this thread also: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/tags-suggestions.101992/

But when I edit an existing tag, it ignores my capitalization.
So I created a new tag after deleting it. Same words.
Again it ignored my capitalization.

Is capitalizing tags not possible on XenForo?

Thanks

Last edited:
Correct. All tags are converted to lower case. MySQL is case insensitive by default so "Tag" is the same as "tag" so we cast all tags to lower case for consistency.

Add this to your tag_view template
HTML:
<xf:css>

.p-title-value {

text-transform: capitalize;

}

</xf:css>
This will capitalize the tags. No clue about the title itself, though.

Thank you but I haven't detailed enough: I want that only the first letter of the first word be uppercase.
The CSS idea is great, but doesn't work for the <title> tag, which is algo important for me.

Add this to your tag_view template
HTML:
<xf:css>

.p-title-value {

text-transform: capitalize;

}

</xf:css>
This will capitalize the tags. No clue about the title itself, though.
This code work but it doesn't capitalize the page title in browser tab and google index. I hope there's a way.

Correct. All tags are converted to lower case. MySQL is case insensitive by default so "Tag" is the same as "tag" so we cast all tags to lower case for consistency.
I question the justification of this. Is consistency more important than readability? Many tags read better with capitals. I'll start a suggestion thread, I think.

Top Bottom