As designed Tagging a user doesn't send alert when the tag is added by editing a post

Quoting a person during an edit also won't send an alert. This is done since the system can't guarantee an alert wasn't already previously sent, and this is the only 'safe' way to not send a lot of duplicate alerts.

Quoting a person during an edit also won't send an alert. This is done since the system can't guarantee an alert wasn't already previously sent, and this is the only 'safe' way to not send a lot of duplicate alerts.

It is only 1 query away checking if the user has an existing alert, though ... xf_user_alert would have it for that particular content_type with that id for the target user :)

It is not really a technical restriction, but rather, a choice, or an oversight

It is only 1 query away checking if the user has an existing alert, though ... xf_user_alert would have it for that particular content_type with that id for the target user :)

It is not really a technical restriction, but rather, a choice, or an oversight

xf_user_alert doesn't store all previous alerts, they'll be pruned from the database according to a time setting within the Options.

So, no, I'd still say its the only real way to avoid unnecessary alerts. ;)

If a user edits the post is it a bad thing to possibly get another alert? Because ideally you'd want to see the extra info they may have added. On the other hand, how frustrating trying to tag someone you forgot and it not working.

I constantly edit posts for spelling, grammar, or formatting. I wouldn't want to alert those who've already been alerted that I made these changes because well, it's innecessary for them to be alerted.

I constantly edit posts for spelling, grammar, or formatting. I wouldn't want to alert those who've already been alerted that I made these changes because well, it's innecessary for them to be alerted.

You said "xf_user_alert doesn't store all previous alerts, they'll be pruned from the database according to a time setting within the Options." Not sure about you, but I'm sure that setting is not too low, and I'm sure you will be able to fix all your spelling errors and grammar mistakes in the necessary time (without sending alerts again).

Ugh. I already find this feature irritating. Getting multiple alerts on the same thread would cause me to turn the feature off. Permanently. And my users would agree wholeheartedly.

You said "xf_user_alert doesn't store all previous alerts, they'll be pruned from the database according to a time setting within the Options." Not sure about you, but I'm sure that setting is not too low, and I'm sure you will be able to fix all your spelling errors and grammar mistakes in the necessary time (without sending alerts again).

By default is 4 days. I believe setting it to o may prune it immediately. The data to properly implement this is unreliable at best.

Top Bottom