Tag-centric community??

iMav

I am looking for a web forum solution that is organized exclusively by tags.

Basically, you'd have one forum, and all threads would be categorized based on tags (pre-defined for my needs).

In this community, threads may often overlap topic areas (tags), so being able to easily apply multiple tags (at time of thread-creation as well as modified later, as necessary, by moderators) is essential.

Is this something either xenForo excels at? Or is there another product you are aware of that would work well for this?

Does SMF have tags ?

The most tag based forum is
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ninjapost-forum-software.36139/

XF has Tags.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/******-thread-tag.30665/
but it might not meet your needs.

Think of forums like this:
Each forum on Xenforo.com is actually a tag. Consider the forum to be the base tag.

Do you want to be like StackOverflow ?

I am looking for a web forum solution that is organized exclusively by tags.
Basically, you'd have one forum, and all threads would be categorized based on tags (pre-defined for my needs).

In this community, threads may often overlap topic areas (tags), so being able to easily apply multiple tags (at time of thread-creation as well as modified later, as necessary, by moderators) is essential.

That is one crazy high maintenance forum plan.
I doubt tags would be worth it as you describe.

The ninja forum functionality (around tagging) seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Is there any open source solution like it? (or a paid licensing offering I could host myself?)

The ninja forum functionality (around tagging) seems to be exactly what I am looking for. Is there any open source solution like it? (or a paid licensing offering I could host myself?)
No / No.

Before you go rushing into Tags ....

Explain what problem you are having with your forum currently.
Explain how tags will solve that problem.

Moving between software packages is risky and expensive. Tell us why the risk is worth it.

I'm not looking to move/migrate any of my current sites. This is for a new community (a bit of a spin off of some other sites). The single, biggest issue is having threads that cross over several topics not being properly represented...and, often, similar content being posted in multiple sub-forums.

We want to be able to categorize threads with multiple tags. So that threads that are applicable to multiple categories/tags, can be more easily identified.

It seems like a good idea, but in practice it doesn't end up working like that.
What happens is ... so many threads get the Tag you are looking for ..... there are so many Tagged threads ... you end up needing to perform a search on a particular tag. And we all know how good users are at searching !

I like your idea, and I previously thought Tags would be the way to go ... but it doesn't end up working as nice as you want.

As well, posters are HORRIBLE at assigning good tags to threads. So it's admin / mod intensive.

I also don't suggest that Ninja thing. It is what you requested though.

Overall I think you want content on your site to be more organized. And I agree with that 100%.

I would think it would depend on the tags. If you have only pre-defined tags, and these tags roughly represent the different subforums you would have otherwise, those numerous threads would be the same as if you were looking at a subforum. With the added benefit that some of those threads would ALSO appear under additional, relevant tags.

In my mind, threads with multiple tags would be just like if you could post a thread with hard symlinks into multiple (relavent) sub-forums.

Your avatar is depressing.
Do you want me to find a better one ;) ?
Thanks. That image was created from a real photo of me...Glad you find me depressing. Guess I should be thankful I'm already married. :)

Getting back to the discussion . . .

Basically, what I envision are pre-defined tags that would, basically, be the same as the sub-forum categories I might use. When I thread crosses over into multiple categories, it can, essentially, exist in both categories at the same time....via the multiple tags. It would replicate the ability for the thread to exist in multiple sub-forums at the same time (back to my hard link comment earlier).

Guess I should be thankful I'm already married. :)
Uh. It's not you. It's the render !

banner.png

For Geekhack (cool site BTW). Is there a Tag addon for SMF 2.x ?
Might be interesting experimenting with Tags before you try it elsewhere ?

What is a good example on geekhack for a topic that should be in two forums ?
Are users saying they can't find stuff ?

Well, as I mentioned before, this would not be for geekhack...but I can use GH as an example.

A discussion about a new ergonomic keyboard with built-in trackpoint. This would be appropriate in the "keyboard", "ergonomics", and "input devices" subforums. Imagine if you could have the thread simultaneously exist in all three sub-forums. Replace sub-forum categories with tags and that can be easily done with a tag-based forum.

A discussion about a new ergonomic keyboard with built-in trackpoint. This would be appropriate in the "keyboard", "ergonomics", and "input devices" subforums. Imagine if you could have the thread simultaneously exist in all three sub-forums. Replace sub-forum categories with tags and that can be easily done with a tag-based forum.
Good example.
Clarify what the current problem is and how the users are affected.

Good example.
Clarify what the current problem is and how the users are affected.
Mainly, you end up with parallel discussions about the same thing(s) in different subforums. And even if a mod identifies this and wants to merge the thread...where should it go if it truly "belongs" in multiple subforums?

Pre-defined tags just seems like the most elegant way.

Interesting.
Do your members complain about duplicate topics ? Of course people say, HEY ! that is already being discussed here. Is it really that much of a problem ?

Can't you just use Xenforo, with Xen Tags ?

I think going to a Tag-centric community would bring on potentially huge problems vs. solving relatively small issues.

I will say this ... Google loves Tags.

5 years ago I wanted tags badly for vBulletin and I brought it up on the vBulletin forums alot. vBulletin 3.x and 4.x have good tags, BTW. (I've never tried Xenforo tags).

Tags work great in Wordpress, but that is because the number of articles is small (compared to the number of threads in a forum).

To me, bigger problems with forums are:
(1) good information is easily lost.
(2) forum searching is horrid.
(3) threads lack sufficient structure to keep information organized.
(4) after a thread has 30 posts, information is virtually unfindable.
(5) people hang out on facebook too much

I see that this is the wrong place to continue this conversation...since this is a XenForo pre-sales subforum. (all answers/suggestions tend to downplay or marginalize functionality that is not XenForo-centric) And understandably so (I work in pre-sales). :)

Top Bottom