As designed Table column width not consistent

frm

Affected version
2.1.5a+
The table column widths, if no options are provided (in a BB code suggestion to come), are not consistent.

One would believe that if you have 2 columns, that at basic, it would be 50/50. But, this is not the case when it comes table to table:

It does stay consistent in the editor until you Toggle BB code back and forth. Then, you can see that the widths change. Otherwise, normally posting, you will see a 2 column table take 50% of the width, and drop longer text to a 2nd line, as it should.

OptionValue
This is the option written a lot longer than the value would be1
This is the option 22
This is the option 33
This is the option written a lot longer than the value would be and a lot longer than the first option value.4

Option 2Value 2
One1
Two2
Three3

It does stay consistent in the editor until you Toggle BB code back and forth. Then, you can see that the widths change. Otherwise, normally posting, you will see a 2 column table take 50% of the width, and drop longer text to a 2nd line, as it should.

How exactly do you "Toggle BB code back and forth" to get the widths to change?

Thanks! You mentioned here that there was a way to "create your own table bb code to suit your needs." Did you mean background colors, etc? If so, where can I find detailed BB code documentation to help me along?

Thanks!

You will need to post in the styling and customisation forum - this is a bug report thread.

Yeah, I think at least one of my questions was "moved" there and never answered.

I've been spending 12-14 hours/day trying to crash-course myself through XF since coming from VB. While I've found many answers to my questions on my own by searching here and googling, I've only posted when I'm absolutely stumped.

Feel free to move my post to the "Styling and customisation forum" and I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

So this was the source of some conversation a while ago and a decision wasn't really made.

The short version is this is expected because we do not support width options on table cells in BB code. The WYSIWYG editor does, and it provides evenly sized columns for all cells automatically, and may inherit column widths when pasting from other websites or software, but these will be lost when we convert to BB code, hence why the appearance of the table changes.

It reverts to essentially default browser behaviour when widths aren't defined, in which case the browser will size the columns to the best of its ability based on the content within.

So, for the most part, this is working as intended, and therefore will be marked "As designed". The behaviour may change in the future but we're not currently tracking this as a bug for the reasons mentioned.

Top Bottom