system admin discussion

majdi

i would like to ask you what are your servers specs and how big your board is. i want to know which configuration is the most popular.
please share with us your server software: webserver, php handler, my.ini, etc..
your forum size, speed
hardware

anything that you think can be helpful to the rest of us. lets discuss this subject, its an essential part of a successful community :)

x3460
16gb ram
80GB SSD slc iodrive from fusion io
3x 1.5tb hdd

board is 50 000 members + other websites

using apache and mysql, mainly because i dont see any usefulness with nginx for now since sevrer load is always below 0.30 as average
mainly use my ssd to store mysql data and uses tradtional hdd for everything else

have you ever tried using another webserver ? i read that lightspeed, nginx and cherokee run static files much faster than apache.

I am configuring a LCMP stack at the moment, so far it seems very promising, however I have always worked with apache so am comfortable with that.

Dual Quad Core 5504 - 2.13GHz
24gb ram
4x 300gb sas (15k RPM)
raid 10

In the past we've used litespeed as well as nginx. Pick what works best for you. Not sure if you are going to find what is most popular but from what I've noticed, many many people are using nginx now.

Average users online per 5 minutes
800-1400
Total Posts
Total Members

Cherokee is a solid server .. Let me know if you need help with it ;) (although I do not have any production site running cherokee)
how did you test it ?
tbh, in the past, many software looked cool to me on paper and on a test machine, however once you put it on a production machine you get some bad surprises.

debian squeeze

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 2
model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.12.5
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 2999.503
cache size : 4096 KB
fdiv_bug : .......

:D

Apache, mod_php.
I choose apache because I've been running apache server's since 1266bc, so know the application quite well.

I have two of these vm's .. one run's my IPB board + a few personal sites, one runs my xF board + a few personal sites.

Top Bottom