Switched to a Galaxy

Summit

So I went against my hardcore apple fanboy mind, and switched to a Galaxy device. Personally I really love the screen, camera, so on so forth. Anything I should know, or do while I am still in those setup phases (This is my first Galaxy phone btw)?

For those wondering, its a Galaxy S6 Edge 32 Gb Gold/Platinum

I would not have gone with a Galaxy honestly... I myself always try to get something more "pure" Google. A nexus device is best, but since I am on Verizon, I have to go with HTC and turn off Blinkfeed. The problem I have with Samsung devices is all their crap-ware... my camera doesn't need a golf-swing mode.

Also, I dont understand the purpose of a 4K screen on a cell phone. The HTC One m9 only has a 1080p resolution, and that is more than enough for a 4 inch screen. Making your phone 4K does nothing but increase battery consumption.

I would not have gone with a Galaxy honestly... I myself always try to get something more "pure" Google. A nexus device is best, but since I am on Verizon, I have to go with HTC and turn off Blinkfeed. The problem I have with Samsung devices is all their crap-ware... my camera doesn't need a golf-swing mode.

Also, I dont understand the purpose of a 4K screen on a cell phone. The HTC One m9 only has a 1080p resolution, and that is more than enough for a 4 inch screen. Making your phone 4K does nothing but increase battery consumption.
It's marketing... but I agree 100%.

My S6 does pretty decent on battery I have to say. Fast, and most of the annoying apps installed can be "disabled".

It's marketing... but I agree 100%.

My S6 does pretty decent on battery I have to say. Fast, and most of the annoying apps installed can be "disabled".

Yea defiantly marketing, no doubt about it. However, I do like some of the little gimmicks it has, and I have all samsung TV's and blu ray players, so its easy to connect.

As for the S6, what would you say an average charge gets you? On lets just say an average use of lookup, texting, etc.

Yea defiantly marketing, no doubt about it. However, I do like some of the little gimmicks it has, and I have all samsung TV's and blu ray players, so its easy to connect.

As for the S6, what would you say an average charge gets you? On lets just say an average use of lookup, texting, etc.

It comes off the charger often early in the morning (2-4AM) and I leave for work around 6AM. I can text, surf, and browse Facebook every so often and still have over 70% on average when I go home around 4PM. I had very little use on it (Text, FB for lunch, a few calls) and still had 80% when I left work.

This is today so far:
Screenshot_2015-07-07-09-51-41.webp

It comes off the charger often early in the morning (2-4AM) and I leave for work around 6AM. I can text, surf, and browse Facebook every so often and still have over 70% on average when I go home around 4PM. I had very little use on it (Text, FB for lunch, a few calls) and still had 80% when I left work.

This is today so far:
View attachment 110609
Awesome, thanks for the info.

The recent Galaxy S6 phones comes with a less bloated touchwiz. They even released an official Material Design theme in the galaxy store that pretty much resembles the interface of a Nexus device so that shouldn't be a problem.

My biggest complaint on every Samsung Android based phone I've owned (S3, S4, Fascinate) was that they all had weak radios for the area I live in. Signal strength was really poor compared to the Motorola radios.

Haha, I'm pretty jealous of your phone @Summit

Welcome to the android club! The only thing you should concern yourself with is not downloading any .apk files over the internet from sketchy sources and installing them. At any rate, S6 is a powerful machine and should zip through just about everything you can throw at it!
Check out android's (Android L 5.0+) multi-user management, it might come in handy for separating business from play.

Best of luck with your new toy!

After a few galaxy's over the years I am now looking for something better. I will run cyanogenmod on it. Does anyone have recommendations?

one plus has ditched cyanogenmod. I can still just install it though. zenfone camera sucks. For some reason with samsung I always end up with power drain and hardware failure over time. Maybe I need to install cyanogenmod on an iphone. That would really freak the fruit lovers out lol.

Haha, is that even possible, @Alfa1 ?
But yeah, although One Plus has ditched cyanogenmod, their phone(s) are fairly good budget-flagships.
While I can't deny the Asus Zenfone 2 having noise in pictures when you zoom in, the specs-to-price ratio for the phone is simply astounding.

If you're looking to spend a little more, how about a nexus 6?

Actually I don't think it is possible. But I will ask about it when I ask them to install windows on my macbook. :D
I have the luxury to choose any phone I like as I will not be paying for it. nexus 6 might be a possibility. I do see that samsung seems to once again have the best specs.

Welcome to the club!

You won't regret it. I'm still using Galaxy S3 (bought it when it was just released) and don't intend to update any time soon. Galaxy phones are awesome. It works great, easy to manage, updates never failed so far.

Though I'm worried about battery in S6. Unlike previous models, it cannot be swapped. For normal usage it shouldn't be a problem. But it could be an issue when using phone for navigation. During travels I use my S3 for navigation, sometimes when app (CoPilot) is working for several hours without breaks, car charger is not enough to keep it working and battery dies. For when that happens I have backup battery with charger. I swap batteries and restart phone. Phone is working again and old battery is charging from second car charger. If battery drain in S6 is the same, it could be a problem.

Top Bottom