Sweet Killer

Thanks Jake.

Is there any reason why leafy greens are better juiced rather than blended? At the moment I steam a lot of vegetables so I eat the whole thing, though obviously steaming does remove/destroy some of the goodness. When I look at the juicers I see a lot of material - pulp - being discarded, whereas a blender would give you the whole lot.

Edit: Google is my friend, it does seem to be down to whether you want the fibre/roughage:

Currently I have a gadget (Kenwood Excel XXL) which filters all the fibers out, but I am still looking for a proper blender (or whatever you call it ?) to keep more stuff of the fruit in the juice.
Do you guys know any good ones ?

My juicer arrived today. Budget dictated that I went for a cheaper version rather than a masticating one.

I realise the thread is about avoiding sugar, but my primary aim is just to eat healthily in the first place, so I will be including fruit, before I become "hard core" with the greens later on.

My first juice was a random mix from the fridge and fruit bowl: Carrot, celery, cucumber, spinach (that's the veg part) plus apples, lemon and ginger (the make it taste sweeter part).

It looked like swamp water, smelled like swamp water, but OMFG it tasted amazing!!!! I'm hooked already! So thanks Morgain and Jake, you've got more vitamins in my body from one glass than I had in the whole of last year.

View attachment 43606

You are right, that looks horrible! :ROFLMAO:

I've been making smoothies recently, which are yummy. But I think I might be taking in too much sugar.

This eating healthy is tricky. I don't really do vegetables, but maybe I should start.

Diet for the usual day consists of something like this:

Breakfast
Bowl of muesli with dried berries and half fat milk
Orange / Apple
Glass of 100% pure fruit juice

Lunch
Ham and cheese sandwich with salad and low fat coleslaw
Pear
Plum
Yogurt

Dinner
Freshly made and prepared evening meal, usually something like Chilli con carne, Chick Curry, Beef Casserole, etc.

Then I usually snack on things like oat biscuits and fruit during meals.

I eat a lot and I thought I ate well - but i'm reconsidering the amount of sugar I am taking in.

Don't drink fruit juice? Does that include not from concentrate 100% fruit juice? Because I drink a **** load of that :p

Think of your health mate! I recommend you immediately replace that fruit juice consumption with beer, the beverage of the Gods. Problem solved, bill is in the mail.

More specifically;
download.webp

I see so many people who don't care about their health. I believe part of the reason is because they have offloaded that responsibility onto their doctors. Why eat healthy when you can get a prescription from your drug dealer doctor once you become sick?

Revisiting your post Jake I think you are right but there are more reasons too.

Offload of responsibility to doctors - yes and this is vigorously promoted by the medical profession and Big Pharma.
In the 18th and 19thC the medical profession drove the local wisewomen and midwives out of business so as to take over what was about to be a big money maker. Before that every household had its woman who knew herbs and health. The best ones locally advised others or took barter or pay for local help. An excellent grass roots self help system smashed by male doctors who a) made it illegal to 'practice medicine' w/o a licence, and b) banned women from training for a licence, and c) took over many of the traditional remedies to sell at high prices.
There had been bad practitioners of course, lack of licensing does mean that. But local reputation does the same as licensing and are we really better off now that we have powerful organisations like the BMA which conceals doctors; malpractice?

IGNORANCE. Many people have no idea they are eating junk, or downright poison - especially the young below 40 who are much more poorly educated by a dismantled school system which actively prevents learning.
I talk with young people who simply don't know that sugar is poison, that chips are heavily fattening, or what corn starch or fructose is.
A large number of younger households (under 40s) do not have anyone who knows how to cook. Instant packages full of bad stuff or greasy, high salt takeaways are "food." In the UK the govt has finally realised that deliberately keeping people ignorant so they buy crap is expensive on the health service and a little embarrassing now lots of younger people are dying and kids have rickets and other malnutrition diseases. This Sept we start cookery classes in schools again.

FEAR. Many people do know at least something but it;s all too huge and terrifying to really think about. There are too many other threats and high stress factors to cope with -long hours exhaustion or unemployment depression both generate apathy. Terrifying debt, bullying landlords and aggressive social services, cuts cu, fear of crime, drugs or close relatives on drugs or alcohol ...ts cuts to vital essential services for the disabled and elderly, terror of losing job, terror of bosses, bad housing, drugs, alcohol or close relatives/ partner on drugs or alcohol, epidemic domestic violence as response to all of it.

It's endless and it causes apathy, despair, and hopelessness. It's intended to because then there is a lot less challenge to Big Pharma, Big Food, Big Booze, Banker Bullies and the rest.
It's actually a good idea if people are not well fed as weaker people don't fight back.

ps. I call sugar a poison because it kills us.
But as with many other poisons very small amounts are safe to take. Some poisons in very small amounts are even good medicines. It's all about the amount.

Today's breakfast juice in my newfangled health fad was: 1 x orange, 1 x apple, some pineapple, chunk of lemon and half a lime. This replaces the glass of either orange juice or grapefruit juice I normally have (from the supermarket).

The difference between freshly juiced fruit and the stuff from cartons - even "not from concentrate" or Innocent smoothies - is huge. I guess this is down to anything in the shops being pasteurised, regardless of source. Real stuff as I found this morning is fresher and creamier.

Revisiting your post Jake I think you are right but there are more reasons too.

Offload of responsibility to doctors - yes and this is vigorously promoted by the medical profession and Big Pharma.
In the 18th and 19thC the medical profession drove the local wisewomen and midwives out of business so as to take over what was about to be a big money maker. Before that every household had its woman who knew herbs and health. The best ones locally advised others or took barter or pay for local help. An excellent grass roots self help system smashed by male doctors who a) made it illegal to 'practice medicine' w/o a licence, and b) banned women from training for a licence, and c) took over many of the traditional remedies to sell at high prices.
There had been bad practitioners of course, lack of licensing does mean that. But local reputation does the same as licensing and are we really better off now that we have powerful organisations like the BMA which conceals doctors; malpractice?

IGNORANCE. Many people have no idea they are eating junk, or downright poison - especially the young below 40 who are much more poorly educated by a dismantled school system which actively prevents learning.
I talk with young people who simply don't know that sugar is poison, that chips are heavily fattening, or what corn starch or fructose is.
A large number of younger households (under 40s) do not have anyone who knows how to cook. Instant packages full of bad stuff or greasy, high salt takeaways are "food." In the UK the govt has finally realised that deliberately keeping people ignorant so they buy crap is expensive on the health service and a little embarrassing now lots of younger people are dying and kids have rickets and other malnutrition diseases. This Sept we start cookery classes in schools again.

FEAR. Many people do know at least something but it;s all too huge and terrifying to really think about. There are too many other threats and high stress factors to cope with -long hours exhaustion or unemployment depression both generate apathy. Terrifying debt, bullying landlords and aggressive social services, cuts cu, fear of crime, drugs or close relatives on drugs or alcohol ...ts cuts to vital essential services for the disabled and elderly, terror of losing job, terror of bosses, bad housing, drugs, alcohol or close relatives/ partner on drugs or alcohol, epidemic domestic violence as response to all of it.

It's endless and it causes apathy, despair, and hopelessness. It's intended to because then there is a lot less challenge to Big Pharma, Big Food, Big Booze, Banker Bullies and the rest.
It's actually a good idea if people are not well fed as weaker people don't fight back.

ps. I call sugar a poison because it kills us.
But as with many other poisons very small amounts are safe to take. Some poisons in very small amounts are even good medicines. It's all about the amount.

Missing from the list is the ease of preparation of a lot of "modern foods", which appeals to folks who work increased hours and who don't have access to a large kitchen. The chuck it in a microwave mentality.

Was interested to see someone above mentioning their food contains corn by-products, ours are dominated by wheat. Though I'm left wondering exactly what part of ice cream is improved by the addition of wheat in any shape or form.

Diet for the usual day consists of something like this:

Looks like a good diet lee but as you're in review mode let's see:

Breakfast
Bowl of muesli with dried berries and half fat milk
consider rough organic oats (not smooth rolled) with the milk to make porridge in microwave.
consider half skim goat milk - it doesnt have the drugs the poor cows get and the fat globules are much smaller - it tastes milder. A few people dislike it but most of us dont notice difference in taste until you try cow again and it's horrible!
Also add bio yoghurt eg Yeo Valley strawberry/ raspberry/ blueberry etc yes it has some sugar but the bio part is so good it's worth it
Orange / Apple
Glass of 100% pure fruit juice
best - whizz it yourself and if whizzer removes fibre stir it in again!

Breakfast is also good as high protein meal - trimmed back bacon grilled with mushrooms, tomatoes - scrambled eggs! Stops muesli and porridge getting boring anyway.

Lunch
Ham and cheese sandwich with salad and low fat coleslaw
Pear / Plum /Yogurt
Try spelt bread - ask in bakery or supermarket MUCH better than wheat bread and even oat bread is mixed with wheat. I pig out on spelt happily with no bad effects.
Goat butter of course yummy.
[EDIT] simple but CUTE SALAD - green stuff with chopped small apple bits.

Dinner
Freshly made and prepared evening meal, usually something like Chilli con carne, Chick Curry, Beef Casserole, etc.
Avoid beef unless from Argentina - corn fed and drugged.
Look for rabbit and venison meat. Not expensive in small amounts + rice and very pure meat.
Fish? Trout is dead easy to grill. Very filling. Strong muscles + brain food.
Avoid the wonders of pasta except as a weekly treat. Potato baked is medium good and brown rice best.
SPLOT RECIPE -Bake chopped mushrooms and onions in microwave, covered. Lotsa garlic at least 3-4 cloves crushed. When baked for 2-3 mins add tinned tomatoes, toss, and bake again for 1 min. Add to chicken or any meat, or to baked pot or rice.
Consider soup - whizzed veg with stock before eating. Stock is just meat juices from previous meal.
Then I usually snack on things like oat biscuits and fruit during meals.
Oatcakes yes biscuits no. NAIRNS do a great range.
Protein snacks are good - tongue, chicken, smoked fish. Solid, sustaining and healthy.

Desserts- whizz a banana with bioyoghurt eg starwb or other berry.
Chop banana berries melon or any fruit you like into a salad. Just before sitting to eat first course add a bit less than one dessert spoon of elderflower cordial - toss vigorously leave to soak. Before serving toss again.

Anyone who uses the word "just" when commenting/ advising on health or weight control diet should immediately be ignored. The body is a complex mechanism.

Don't eat a lot of processed foods. Otherwise, eat whatever and exercise at least moderately. Enjoy life. That's all you need to do.

This.

Even water can kill you, if you drink too much (i.e., drinking faster than your body can sweat, urinate or breathe it out). The key to a healthy diet is moderation.

Top Bottom