Resource icon

[SurreyForum] XenKingDir: Link / Business Directory (Directory) 1.2.0.8

No permission to download
I've tidied up some loose ends with this, I'm still not entirely happy with it, since it was built on top of code before I really knew what I was doing. I'll be resigning the directory from ground up, but support major fixes for this free version only (not cosmetics / enhancements)

I have removed the "Account" styled categories left column as it is pointless as it is only showing top level categories plus the index page is showing the categories and sub categories anyway

There is now an option to turn off the category list on the left hand side.

You can do this for the main directory page, Option: Display the Category List On Directory Index
You can also do this for the subdirectory pages, Option: Display the Category List On Sub-Directory Pages

The sub category of Clubs and Schools I have has sub sub categories for each State of Australia like Qld, NSW, Vic etc. I have created a test entry in Vic (see side block) however the Australia top level category counter and the Clubs and Schools sub category counter still shows "0" entries. I have tried to rebuild counts but no change besides one shouldn't have to as this should be automatic.

I've retested this scenario

Car (0) > subCat (0) > subSubCat (0)
+1 to subSubCat
Car (1) > subCat (0) > subSubCat (1)

Adding an entry to subSubCat increased the counts on Cat by one, and subSubCat by one, but did not increase subCat...

So there was a bug to do with counts around this area, it wasn't to do with the database (therefore rebuilding the counts would not fix this), but it was to do with the way counts were calculated on the fly.

This is fixed, and supports up to 5 level deep nested categories (If the listing is more than 5 deep, it isn't included in the count). Counts are updated automatically (the rebuild is there only if something strange happens, like moving a listing thread to another part of the forum)

Also I noticed a small thing and that is the code in the templates is all over the place...small thing but they could be cleaned up to look more professional with proper tabbing, less carriage returns and zero tabbed separating lines

This is true, but there is no value to tidying this version up, it doesn't affect the users / use of this plugin (I'm trying to do as much high priority things I can do in as little time as I can, this one is time consuming and low priority... and better suited for when I re-do this plug-in from ground up)

Next shows from my install the sub category page of Clubs and Schools:
View attachment 46086
4 things here...firstly many site owners have a forum background set different to the default white. The sub category title is in a different block to the sub categories underneath it...these should all be contained within the same block to make it look better irrespective of what style they may be using.

The image is bizarre, I'm not sure why your sub-sub-categories have floated out.. I've tested the sub-category index under FF, IE9, IE8, Safari and Chrome. Make sure you haven't got any out of date templates related to the directory

Can you reproduce the same affect here: http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/directory/eating-out.175

I've tested this with various backgrounds and various styles, and I can't see a defect with any of them

However, I have noticed that if .accountContent {display: table-cell;} is removed, you'll see the same affect as you see on your forum... I have been abusive and re-used the .accountContent css from the core. This shouldn't be an issue, unless your style really changes the core css. So, I've updated it and rely on the this plugins css to support the display: table-cell (let me know if it does/doesn't fix the issue)

Secondly, when you click a sub category, it would be better if all the entries for that sub category and all sub sub category entries of it, be displayed to the user not just the entries in the selected sub category leaving out all the entries in the lower levels. If you run a structure like:
Category (Australia)
-- sub category (Clubs and Schools)
---- sub sub category (State of Queensland)
---- sub sub category (State of New South Wales etc)
it is more than likely that all the entries would be in the sub sub categories (i.e. the different states of Australia) than to have entries in the higher level categories (i.e. category and sub category)...it would allow the user to see everything with the ability to drill down (to the sub sub categories) if they wish to

This wont be applicable to everyone, the user has a choice to add more categories. A user can add their listing to a total of 5 categories after they have created their listing.

If a user adds their self to " Clubs and Schools" they can also add their self to the category "Australia" (It is the same listing displayed in both categories). If we used your method, then a problem would arise if the users added their self to multiple categories and these categories included "Australia" and " Clubs and Schools".

Thirdly, the breadcrumb is not showing the higher level category. In my example we are in "Directory -> Australia -> Clubs and Schools"...Australia is left off the breadcrumb

Fixed the breadcrumbs of sub-directories and reviews to show their relevant parent directories,
also with an option:
Include The Current Page In The Sub-Directory Breadcrumb

Lastly, in keeping with the XF standard, the "Submit New Listing" button should be on the right of the breadcrumb...this is the way that XF does it so I would think that it should be done the same way

It's a different part of the forum, submitting a new thread is not the same as submitting a new listing.. I think as long as the button stands out and lets the users know how they can submit a new listing, it should be fine (It also entices new users to sign up, since they can see the submission button, but it will launch the sign-in options if they are not already signed in)... I don't think this is important (and easy to configure if you want to)

This 3rd screen shot displays the 3rd level sub sub category for in my case the State of Victoria (Australia -> Clubs and Schools -> Victoria):
View attachment 46087
Again 2 things...the "Submit New Listing" button and the breadcrumb which is now leaving off both "Australia" and "Clubs and Schools"

Breadcrumb fixed as mentioned above

This 4th screen shot of the actual listing page:
View attachment 46089
Again we have the breadcrumb issue however the category that the entry is in is there but the 2 categories inbetween are not.

Breadcrumb fixed as mentioned above

The main thing with the listing page is that as I have shown in my post #312, this page can be extensively customised by the user to reflect what they need to show and how they want it shown so little to say here other than the issues of stretching, placement and layout that others have highlighted but I say again, these can be overcome by customising this page. The issues I have highlighted above are "core" issues and I think they should be fixed before other bells and whistles are added like a rating system etc.
Agree, getting this part to suite everybody isn't that easy... if I change this area now, there will be people that don't like the change. It can be modified with templates

The next thing is the large view of the Google Map page...there is no way for the user to go back to the listing other than by clicking the "Directory" tab on the main site menu and commence down through the different category levels to get back to the listing (or they have to use the "Back" button on their browser).
I thought about adding this as an overlay, but the standard core overlay isn't large enough.. I've now added breadcrumbs to the larger map, so at least the user can easily get back to the original listing

Also when viewing the listing page the sub menu items on the main site menu bar (i.e. the 2nd level) disappear
That's intended behaviour, reviews do not have a nav bar menu item, so no sub menus are shown

One final thing is the Account styled navigation column. Only you know what your strategic vision is for the addon and this block may well serve a purpose in the future, for example if it was the only navigation block on the index page because the page show "Featured" entries in the middle block. But, with it currently only showing the top level categories, it is of very minimal use.
To be honest, it was just the look an feel of the directory I was looking at when designing it... you can turn it off with the option: Display the Category List On Sub-Directory Pages

I am sorry if I seem a little pedantic but just trying to help by giving my thoughts
Not at all, I wouldn't have fixed the issues if I thought you were being pedantic... and I believe all the defects you mentioned are fixed (the other points might be considered enhancements) ;)

Sorry... no ratings yet, I have been busy with the above

I am having a new error. When a user tries to submit a new listing it is saying that: The requested page could not be found.

Any ideas?

OK, I figured it out but I don't know why it is in an issue. I commented out the sidebar on the sub forum template listing. That messed up the link it generated. Any idea why? I did it for aesthetics because I don't want the sidebar when its a long list of items.

OK, I figured it out but I don't know why it is in an issue. I commented out the sidebar on the sub forum template listing. That messed up the link it generated. Any idea why? I did it for aesthetics because I don't want the sidebar when its a long list of items.

Where are you clicking "submit listing" from, and can you reproduce it on Surrey Fourm?

I did change the way links are used within the template, so now they are:
<xen:link directory/create-listing $directory> instead of this {xen:link full:directory}{$sub_directory.url}/create-listing">

This means the template had to be updated.. I may have missed somewhere or you might be using the old template

If you have changed the template, then your template will not automatically update. You can either revert it (but you will lose your template changes) or replace your links with this format:
<xen:link directory/create-listing $directory>

Where are you clicking "submit listing" from, and can you reproduce it on Surrey Fourm?

<xen:link directory/create-listing $directory> instead of this {xen:link full:directory}{$sub_directory.url}/create-listing">

This means the template had to be updated.. I may have missed somewhere or you might be using the old template

If you have changed the template, then your template will not automatically update. You can either revert it (but you will lose your template changes) or replace your links with this format:

I think that worked when I reverted then saved again. Thanks for the help!

I just noticed when you try to go to another page in the sub directory listing the link isn't correct. I reverted all the templates back to default to make sure. Here is an example page:

http://forum.spiritcompany.com/directory/apparel-accessories.226

Try and click to page 2.

Yes, all text items are stored as phrases.

Just look through your ACP phrases, and update the text for the phrase:
directory

Top Bottom