xF 1.0.0 beta 2 upload dir:
  • 2181 files
  • 471 folders
  • 15.4MB
vB 4.0.8 (forum only) upload dir:
  • 1751 files
  • 136 folders
  • 21.3MB
I was a little surprised, considering one of the criticisms of vB is "bloat." xF is already 72% of vB 4's total size, and consists of 430 more files. I'm sure it doesn't mean anything tragic or horrible, I just found it interesting.

Not surprised at all. My understanding is things were done a certain way, for performance reasons. I could try to word it, but I would probably get the wording incorrect. Or at least not perfect.

Since xF 1.0 already packs in more goodies than vB 4.0 does, my guess is they had to put them somewhere in some directory... Sorry couldn't resist.

Doesn't the file size and number of directories in part stem from the way the Zen framework works?

Jamie

I expect it's more efficient to have lots of smaller one-job scripts than trying to do everything from large (needs expanding constantly when new features are introduced) files.

I'd also expect there is a fair bit of framework there that can be used as building blocks for future features that won't introduce bloat because it's a simple matter of tacking on to the pre-existing framework. (30 new files for a feature as opposed to 150 or more).

I wouldn't worry about volume of files, just whether it works quick and is less buggy than the competition ... lol

Of course if you're trying to run it on a 512MB Tandy TRS-80 then it might be more of a concern :)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Was the term 'bloat' ever referring to the size of the download package? I don't think it was? I think it's about the efficiency and size of the output code in the users' browser, the number of queries etc.

Are we going to make a problem of a few MB's that need to be uploaded once to the server, especially in a time of fast internet and cheap HDD space?

The PEAR libraries consist of hundreds of files to my knowledge. The long term goals of xF may include dropping PEAR in place of custom in house routines so I would not read too much into file numbers.

Since xF 1.0 already packs in more goodies than vB 4.0 does, my guess is they had to put them somewhere in some directory... Sorry couldn't resist.

Doesn't the file size and number of directories in part stem from the way the Zen framework works?

Jamie

By goodies you mean features ?
By no stretch of the imagination does XF have more goodies than vb4 (or vb3, or most other forum software for that matter). :)

The Zend folder accounts for over 60% of the folders and files. I doubt its all used, but rather just comes as a job lot. Im sure I read somewhere that they plan to cut down its use over time.

I was a little surprised, considering one of the criticisms of vB is "bloat." xF is already 72% of vB 4's total size, and consists of 430 more files. I'm sure it doesn't mean anything tragic or horrible, I just found it interesting.

Thanks ;)

XenForo has lots of directories because that's how the class autoloader works (the class XenForo_Model_User would be loaded from library/XenForo/Model/User.php and XenForo_Template_Helper_Core is loaded from library/XenForo/Template/Helper/Core.php).

Part of the reason for the large number of files is that files contain a single class only, so that only the functionality that is actually required to build a particular page is included in the building process.

Of course, as soon as you employ an opcode cache such as APC, the compiled PHP files are stored in memory anyway, so the number of files becomes significantly less important from a performance perspective :)

xF 1.0.0 beta 2 upload dir:
  • 2181 files
  • 471 folders
  • 15.4MB
vB 4.0.8 (forum only) upload dir:
  • 1751 files
  • 136 folders
  • 21.3MB

Remember it's a clean rewrite and likely 100% OOP :)

vBulletin:
1500 files all included when not needed.

XenForo:
1500 files included only when needed.

Result:

vBulletin 2 million post forum (700 online users) server load 0.75 - memory: 5,1 mb with APC and all images/js/css hosted on CDN. (2 servers)
XenForo 2 million post forum (683 online users) server load 0.19 - memory: 2.4 mb with APC (out of box) (1 server)

vBulletin:

XenForo:

Result:

vBulletin 2 million post forum (700 online users) server load 0.75 - memory: 5,1 mb with APC and all images/js/css hosted on CDN. (2 servers)
XenForo 2 million post forum (683 online users) server load 0.19 - memory: 2.4 mb with APC (out of box) (1 server)

Wow! that is indeed a "feel good statistic". Glad to see xenForo performs that well.

vBulletin:

XenForo:

Result:

Nice stats, Floris - which site is/was that?

Top Bottom