Surprised?

Was the term 'bloat' ever referring to the size of the download package? I don't think it was? I think it's about the efficiency and size of the output code in the users' browser, the number of queries etc.

Are we going to make a problem of a few MB's that need to be uploaded once to the server, especially in a time of fast internet and cheap HDD space?

Bloat for me is the 101 features that I or my members never use, yet get added because some fanbois just had to have it even though they don't actually run a forum site.

vBulletin 2 million post forum (700 online users) server load 0.75 - memory: 5,1 mb with APC and all images/js/css hosted on CDN. (2 servers)
XenForo 2 million post forum (683 online users) server load 0.19 - memory: 2.4 mb with APC (out of box) (1 server)
VB version? Any addons like vbadvanced?

Your site? May I assume vb3.8?

(regardless, quite impressive in many regards, well done Floris!)

It's not my site, hence why I am reluctant to mention it. I co-admin it the last 6 years and it has grown from 2.3 to 3.8.4. For some reason I've been able to have over 43,000 posts to my username there.

vBulletin:
1500 files all included when not needed.

XenForo:
1500 files included only when needed.

Result:

vBulletin 2 million post forum (700 online users) server load 0.75 - memory: 5,1 mb with APC and all images/js/css hosted on CDN. (2 servers)
XenForo 2 million post forum (683 online users) server load 0.19 - memory: 2.4 mb with APC (out of box) (1 server)
Interesting stats, on the face of it, the comparison looks good, however ..... a few things spring to mind about the comparison.

vBulletin does not blindly include all files when not needed, it [mostly] does the same as XF (and most other s/w I would imagine) and includes things only as it needs them.

Im also a bit confused as to where you get the figure of 1500 files from - if the site is vb3.8.4, then the 384 install zip appears to have about 870 in it. What are the other 630 files ?

Finally, what spec and OS are the actual servers - memory alone is not really enough to judge.

Paul, someone mentioned lower amount, others higher, i simply took an easy to use number. the 1500, I didn't "count" them, couldn't bother. It's more than 500 - and significant enough.

XF however does do things quite a bit different, the server specs don't matter, they were both running on the same dedicated box.

Top Bottom