1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supported features, innodb, memcached, alternative web servers ?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by p4guru, Jul 30, 2010.

1. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

Hey Mike and Kier would love to hear your thoughts on these for ther larger end forums for forum search, high concurrency and scalability wise ?

if any plans for off loading stuff to memcached ? if so how extensive ?

myisam table locking, innodb alternative ? mysql partitioning ? mysql replication ?

mysql forks such as percona, mariadb ?

mod_rewrite equiavlent syntax and support for alternative web servers other than apache ? i.e. lighttpd, litespeed web server, nginx

oh and I forgot sphinx support ? :)

Yoskaldyr likes this.
  2. Yoskaldyr

Yoskaldyr Well-Known Member

Or other search system as plugins? (Tokio Dystopia also very good)
  3. mlx

mlx Well-Known Member

Mike mentioned in another thread that Sphinx is planned.

Why would it not run on lighty or nginx? I'm sure it will.

memcached is an interesting question! I hope it's supported!
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's mostly using InnoDB. It actually uses transactions for a lot of the writes. At the very least, it's helpful when I mess something up in development. :) There are a few MyISAM/memory tables where it makes sense.

No replication support in its current state.

There is a caching system in, though it hasn't been exercised much. There are various places that want to take advantage of it, but we need to deal with cache expiration/updating.

Don't really need to worry about mod_rewrite too much - it basically just redirects everything and deals with it in code. Or you could not use it. The only difference is "index.php?" (or just "?" if we make a small change).

The search is written in a pluggable way, but it only supports MySQL full-text at this point. Sphinx is planned as it's a must have for any reasonable large board.
    Deriel and Yoskaldyr like this.
  5. Yoskaldyr

Yoskaldyr Well-Known Member

6. Kuma

Kuma Active Member

Will InnoDB be a requirement?
  7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Strictly speaking no, though it's not an option as it stands.
  8. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

thanks good to sphinx is planned.

hoping it will play nice with litespeed web server and nginx web servers too :)
  9. Floris

Floris Guest

Any web server that plays well with PHP and MySQL will do just fine.

I've read that APC is recommended btw. So caching is encouraged under the hood.
  10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I wonder if, on Windows, using Wincache for PHP caching and APC as a datastore might speed things up, or slow things down. I'd like to test this.
  11. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

ah totally forgot about windows users and wincache LOL
  12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

There are quite a few of us who run Windows servers :D
  13. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

silly people ;)
    Darkimmortal and mlx like this.
  14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I'm finding using Windows less of a hassle. For some reason, it's still faster than when I was using Linux, with a different config, in that this one server has Active Directory and Exchange 2010 installed on it, IIS instead of LiteSpeed.
  15. mlx

mlx Well-Known Member

Wincache AND APC?

Both are opcode cachers, aren't they? Why would you want to run both of them?
  16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Well, if configured, Wincache could be the op-code, and APC the datastore, however, with Wincache 1.1 released, I only have the need for Wincache, as it too has a datastore, which I'd like to see XenForo making use of.
  17. mlx

mlx Well-Known Member

I see.

Well we are using memcached for the datastore anyway due to our multi server setup. And I do hope that this will be supported here as well ;)
  18. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Ok, I pledge that if XenForo doesn't come with Wincache support, I will personally write in Wincache support, and yes, I bumped this thread, because there's no point making a new one.
    The API is extremely similar to APC, such that only a replacement of apc_store with wincache_ucache_set will work.
  19. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

When I was using Windows, APC was at least as fast.

(As Wincache)
  20. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

It's nice and fast :)