Load Balance Web servers

GipsyWF

Is this possible with XenForo?

I am considering load balancing using two Apache web servers and one MySql database server.

I plan on using rcync to sync files in the data and internal_data directories so that uploaded files and avatars will sync within a minute.

But I am concerned about email notifications to users. Will both servers send out notifications, duplicating the messages?

The mail is initiated by the web server, but as the requests aren't duplicated, the mails won't be duplicated. They pull all of their data from the DB too, so any updates will affect both web servers.

I'm not positive if rsync will work, as technically attachments could be removed by either server if they're not being used. I suppose if you didn't actually remove the data (ever), that would work. Alternatively, you might have to look at an NFS-like approach.

The mail is initiated by the web server, but as the requests aren't duplicated, the mails won't be duplicated. They pull all of their data from the DB too, so any updates will affect both web servers.

I'm not positive if rsync will work, as technically attachments could be removed by either server if they're not being used. I suppose if you didn't actually remove the data (ever), that would work. Alternatively, you might have to look at an NFS-like approach.

You can tell rcync not to delete. My plan is to do a two way sync. So web2 server will sync from web1 server, then web2 server will sync to web1 server.

This is only temporary for an expected heavy load.

Do think my sync plan will work?

NFS is a good suggestion.

thanks

If it's not deleting, I believe it should be ok -- though you have the potential of leaving orphaned data. Conversely, I don't know if anyone has actually tried that approach, so I can't "certify" it. :)

Top Bottom