Lack of interest Suggestion: When posting, start "More Options" in Preview mode

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Kevin

When responding to a thread, I am finding myself hitting "More Options" not to take advantage of the additional options (like attaching a file) but more often than not to see a preview before posting.

I think it may be a slight time saver to already be in Preview mode when clicking "More Options" to begin with.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
In a thread, below the reply box the 'More Options...' button only actually gives you one more option which is to preview the reply, so do we really need anything more than a 'Preview' button?

Could we have a 'Preview' button and then a 'More Options...' button that only shows for Admins and Moderators, the whole add-reply page just seems a bit redundant for the average user.

Bumping this thread.....LOL

Im still working with my Staff getting use to all this and this same topic came up from him. It would be simpler and more efficient if the Preview Post button was with the standard one Post Reply. Virtually every other forum software has it that way so people are use to looking for it.

Yes... I hate how I have to click more options, and then click preview just to get the preview.

The more options button should do a preview as well.

Could we have a 'Preview' button and then a 'More Options...' button that only shows for Admins and Moderators, the whole add-reply page just seems a bit redundant for the average user.

But, when you talk about the average user, I wonder what percentage of those average users will in fact use a [Preview] button in the first place? In fact, I (admin) almost never ever use [Preview] myself, since forumpackages like XenForo come equipped with a great wysiwyg-editor, diminishing the need of any preview for me. In the good old vBulletin 3.8 I alwyas used [Advanced options] or whatever it was called to post and almost never used Quick Reply. In XenForo however I find myself always using the Quick Reply. I didn't need a [Preview] once.

Is there an option to configure what buttons appear there? I've got a lot of users asking for a preview button there. I note "Upload a File" is there...

... or can we do some Ajax hokum and have a little drop down of options you can choose from? IE: Hover over "More options" and preview / upload a file appears there.

From the quick test I've just done: Yes. Seemingly just a template edit, though to get it looking good I might need to get it to work slightly differently.

Here's a screenshot from my test box:

preview.webp

There's a few obvious issues straight away, such as where the preview loads (maybe an overlay would be better... hmmm) and the location of the preview button.

Let me work on this, I will see what I can do.

The reason there's a "More Options" button and not just a Preview button is so that the transition from member to moderator/admin isn't that different, I'd assume. Otherwise you'd be used to seeing the "Preview" button, then wonder where it went when you see the More Options button. Obviously if you're familiar to the software you'd know, but it makes sense in a way.

Ok, I've got this done and I'll be releasing later after a few improvements :)

Here's what it looks like:

previewquickreply.webp

Notice there's now a Preview button next to Post Reply?

Clicking it launches the preview in an overlay thanks to some custom js.

There is a small bug whereby long posts go off the bottom of the screen, but I'll fix that before I release :)

Ok, I've got this done and I'll be releasing later after a few improvements :)

Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 29969

Notice there's now a Preview button next to Post Reply?

Clicking it launches the preview in an overlay thanks to some custom js.

There is a small bug whereby long posts go off the bottom of the screen, but I'll fix that before I release :)
Hello :)

Top Bottom