[Suggestion] watermark attached images

I think this could be a nice addition to the core package as it could be an option for users to select when posting their resources, even their resources posted here at xenforo, specifically styles and graphics and rather than having it as an add-on I fee included to the core would be a better option.

I think this could be a nice addition to the core package as it could be an option for users to select when posting their resources, even their resources posted here at xenforo, specifically styles and graphics and rather than having it as an add-on I fee included to the core would be a better option.
agreed

I like it, but the original image should not be changed, the watermark needs to just overlay it, so that when disabled the image is without the watermark again. Also for admins it should not be showed (or other set usergroups).

I agree completely as well.

I like it, but the original image should not be changed, the watermark needs to just overlay it, so that when disabled the image is without the watermark again. Also for admins it should not be showed (or other set usergroups).

I think that would defeat the purpose of having a watermark applied to the image. It's really not a big deal to me because I could always watermark my own images regardless of the outcome. Speaking of options perhaps an opacity setting on the chance that some users may not be able to distinguish the screenshot whatever the image may be.

I think that would defeat the purpose of having a watermark applied to the image. It's really not a big deal to me because I could always watermark my own images regardless of the outcome. Speaking of options perhaps an opacity setting on the chance that some users may not be able to distinguish the screenshot whatever the image may be.
I don't think it would defeat, not if the downloaded image has the watermark applied to it, unless there would be a way of disabling the overlay for the end-user. I don't know enough about coding to know how that works though.

I agree with Shelley that it should be core. I'm picturing a file upload area within profile that allows for the placement left, center, right, etc..

I only know of one forum that watermarks images and they don't even own the copyrights to those images, they just do it to get their site link out there.

Should be a mod, not built in.

I don't think it would defeat, not if the downloaded image has the watermark applied to it, unless there would be a way of disabling the overlay for the end-user. I don't know enough about coding to know how that works though.
Any image displayed on the screen is technically downloaded into the Web browser's cache. If there is no watermark at all on the image when displayed, then a separate system needs to determine if the request is a regular http access or a download access (which I don't think there is currently a way to do that behind the scenes. You would probably have to implement a javascript to detect that). From there, it would have to load the watermark onto it. If several hundred people are doing that at once, it can bog down the server rather quickly. An actual overlay (like how xenforo does for like reporting a post), that would be a waste of resources for both user and server, especially since it can be disabled by disabling javascript. In the end, only one solution would be proper: upload image, keep a copy for the owner (person who uploaded the image), and then render a watermarked copy to display on the forum.

Any image displayed on the screen is technically downloaded into the Web browser's cache. If there is no watermark at all on the image when displayed, then a separate system needs to determine if the request is a regular http access or a download access (which I don't think there is currently a way to do that behind the scenes. You would probably have to implement a javascript to detect that). From there, it would have to load the watermark onto it. If several hundred people are doing that at once, it can bog down the server rather quickly. An actual overlay (like how xenforo does for like reporting a post), that would be a waste of resources for both user and server, especially since it can be disabled by disabling javascript. In the end, only one solution would be proper: upload image, keep a copy for the owner (person who uploaded the image), and then render a watermarked copy to display on the forum.
That's very unlikely though, even on big boards. Thanks for your explanation.

Very unlikely unless your forum is a graphics place (when I wrote that part you highlighted, I was thinking of like DeviantArt's layout (really because I couldn't think of a better reason to have watermarks on images).

anyone get something like this going? I want to use it to help advertise our site when someone uploads and image and another person hyperlinks to it somewhere else.

Top Bottom