1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] watermark attached images

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by majdi, Oct 3, 2010.

1. majdi

majdi Well-Known Member

i would like to have the ability to automatically watermark attached images in my forum

Dadparvar, dash, Sasa and 18 others like this.
  2. JamesM

JamesM Member

I like the idea but in my opinion people are suggesting very small features that would be better as an add-ons.

3. Martyn

Martyn Active Member

it is a good idea.... and is very little effort, everything now adays is about branding....

4. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Yep can be done. Not sure if this should be core or addon though.

5. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

It would probably best suit as an add-on.

TrixieTang likes this.
  6. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I think this could be a nice addition to the core package as it could be an option for users to select when posting their resources, even their resources posted here at xenforo, specifically styles and graphics and rather than having it as an add-on I fee included to the core would be a better option.

7. Martyn

Martyn Active Member

agreed

8. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I like it, but the original image should not be changed, the watermark needs to just overlay it, so that when disabled the image is without the watermark again. Also for admins it should not be showed (or other set usergroups).

woei and Shelley like this.
  9. karrott

karrott Active Member

I agree completely as well.

10. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I think that would defeat the purpose of having a watermark applied to the image. It's really not a big deal to me because I could always watermark my own images regardless of the outcome. Speaking of options perhaps an opacity setting on the chance that some users may not be able to distinguish the screenshot whatever the image may be.

11. dutchbb

I don't think it would defeat, not if the downloaded image has the watermark applied to it, unless there would be a way of disabling the overlay for the end-user. I don't know enough about coding to know how that works though.

12. Martyn

Martyn Active Member

i've seen scripts which extend the height and add it under..?

13. Peter

Peter Active Member

I agree with Shelley that it should be core. I'm picturing a file upload area within profile that allows for the placement left, center, right, etc..

14. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Well-Known Member

I only know of one forum that watermarks images and they don't even own the copyrights to those images, they just do it to get their site link out there.

Should be a mod, not built in.

15. Decent60

Decent60 Well-Known Member

Any image displayed on the screen is technically downloaded into the Web browser's cache. If there is no watermark at all on the image when displayed, then a separate system needs to determine if the request is a regular http access or a download access (which I don't think there is currently a way to do that behind the scenes. You would probably have to implement a javascript to detect that). From there, it would have to load the watermark onto it. If several hundred people are doing that at once, it can bog down the server rather quickly. An actual overlay (like how xenforo does for like reporting a post), that would be a waste of resources for both user and server, especially since it can be disabled by disabling javascript. In the end, only one solution would be proper: upload image, keep a copy for the owner (person who uploaded the image), and then render a watermarked copy to display on the forum.

16. CFodder

CFodder Well-Known Member

Definitely agree this would be a nice feature to have, and that it be part of the core package,

17. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I also vote for built-in.

::abdo:: and Michael Dance like this.
  18. dutchbb

That's very unlikely though, even on big boards. Thanks for your explanation.

19. Decent60

Decent60 Well-Known Member

Very unlikely unless your forum is a graphics place (when I wrote that part you highlighted, I was thinking of like DeviantArt's layout (really because I couldn't think of a better reason to have watermarks on images).

20. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

anyone get something like this going? I want to use it to help advertise our site when someone uploads and image and another person hyperlinks to it somewhere else.