Lack of interest [Suggestion] Updating your status in User Profile is confusing now

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Think of your status as Facebook wall posts. You post a status that corresponds to your current status in real life (Kier's constant status could be "Programming XF").

I feel it makes sense, the update status on the drop-down is just a quick way to post a status (for people following you maybe?) as someone asked for a shortcut method a few days ago.

I don't see anything confusing there?

Just like facebook ;)

Aha... I never quite used this feature on Facebook or realized this was a 'status' when you write on your Facebook wall. Just checked it out after your reply and now I get it better.

Thanks for explaining again. Now I even understand Facebook better. But I can bet on the fact that a large part of my members will also not get this in the beginning. It seems a bit odd (yes, also on Facebook, because it works the same I understand) to you write something on your wall and this entry then becomes your new 'status'. I mean, wouldn't you expect some dedicated field to enter your status and just use the ability to post on your own profile for other stuff/comments? What is the logic behind it?

Thanks for explaining again. Now I even understand Facebook better. But I can bet on the fact that a large part of my members will also not get this in the beginning. It seems a bit odd (yes, also on Facebook, because it works the same I understand) to you write something on your wall and this entry then becomes your new 'status'. I mean, wouldn't you expect some dedicated field to enter your status and just use the ability to post on your own profile for other stuff/comments? What is the logic behind it?

Well, it's a quick thought that you write down on your profile, both here and on Facebook. it's a quick way for others who visit your profile to know what's going on your mind right that minute, and for you it's a reminder of what you had said last (which, if you have a busy profile or Facebook wall, is handy to have).

I also imagine, because of the 140 character limit, that there may be better integration with Twitter in the future so that statuses can be shared between an XF installation, Twitter, and Facebook in the future (Facebook being the only one with a longer character limit).

What has a reply-message to do with your status?

Well, it's a quick thought that you write down on your profile, both here and on Facebook. it's a quick way for others who visit your profile to know what's going on your mind right that minute, and for you it's a reminder of what you had said last (which, if you have a busy profile or Facebook wall, is handy to have).

Yes, I get the first part of your explanation: '...it's a quick way for others who visit your profile to know what's going on your mind right that minute', but what about '...and for you it's a reminder of what you had said last'? I noticed indeed when I was on Facebook some time ago that somebody had some status message that just didn't make any sense. It just looked like a message that was a reply to someone. How is this a status? The same is happening on XenForo, look at this example:

status.webp

I don't really get this behavior on Facebook, so I also don't get it on XenForo. What has a reply to someone having anything to do with your status? Imagine if she would have written: 'Hi Grover, how are you? Lovely to see Kier and the others...'. Then this will be on her status, but she is actually 'talking' to me when she replies in this way. Am I thinking to difficult, or how can I see it?

I don't really get this behavior on Facebook, so I also don't get it on XenForo. What has a reply to someone having anything to do with your status? Imagine if she would have written: 'Hi Grover, how are you? Lovely to see Kier and the others...'. Then this will be on her status, but she is actually 'talking' to me when she replies in this way. Am I thinking to difficult, or how can I see it?
It might be the case of confused user, since someone writing on your profile will let you know and there's a comment link next to the message. The expectation of you as the user to click "Comment" when you want to reply to that specific message.

I think that "Write something..." should be changed to "Update your status" in this case, to be consistent with with the drop-down menu, and to confirm to the user that it's for writing status updates, not for writing replies to users.

I think that "Write something..." should be changed to "Update your status" in this case, to be consistent with with the drop-down menu, and to confirm to the user that it's for writing status updates, not for writing replies to users.
It does say that on your own profile.

Yes, it certainly does say it. I mean, it's not a big deal at all... but I am sure that more of my members will not get it really, at least not in the beginning. This text-input field is used for 2 different purposes: on your own profile it updates your status, but this exact same text-input field on somebody else's profile is used for posting a comment. That is what is making it a bit unclear when you never used functionality like this before (not all people are actually familiar with Facebook). But I guess it just takes some time to get it and it will prove itself useful this way.

What has a reply-message to do with your status?

Not to endlessly chew it over... but here is another example that illustrates what I try to say:

strange_status.webp

You see, I am not an active Facebook user, but status messages like this one from Steve just look strange to me (caused by the way you can enter your Status in your Profile Posts... as explained above). Anyone else thinks the same? Or maybe it's something new I need to get used to.

Not to endlessly chew it over... but here is another example that illustrates what I try to say:

View attachment 1212

You see, I am not an active Facebook user, but status messages like this one from Steve just look strange to me (caused by the way you can enter your Status in your Profile Posts... as explained above). Anyone else thinks the same? Or maybe it's something new I need to get used to.
I understand your point. You're saying that just because you're posting something on your profile, it doesn't make it a status.

A status is to do with a mood, an action, a condition, etc. which means that the "status" should reflect your current mood to some extent, whereas posting on your profile could be to share an opinion or reply to something.

View attachment 1212

I guess it's in the spirit of you cannot X your own Y.

You cannot LIKE your own POSTS
You cannot LIKE your own COMMENTS
You cannot POST on your own PROFILE
You cannot FOLLOW your own SELF

I guess it's in the spirit of you cannot X your own Y.

You cannot LIKE your own POSTS
You cannot LIKE your own COMMENTS
You cannot POST on your own PROFILE
You cannot FOLLOW your own SELF
Are we talking chromosomes now? :confused:

Using your logic, that makes us unable to post on our profile and I'll be all upset because I can't spam myself :(

Brandon, you CAN post on your own profile, and reply to posts made by others.

Yes, and Steve did exactly the same thing as Shanji in the screenshot here: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ser-profile-is-confusing-now.1367/#post-36813... understandably they both posted a message on their profile as a reply to someone. They did not use the comment-option, which is the preferred way. But how to know this if your are new to XenForo? I think I will end up with a lot of status messages like this on my forum.

No big deal whatsoever at all (again), but I just found it a bit weird/confusing.

Top Bottom