Lack of interest Suggestion - "Super Stickies"

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

BirdOPrey5

These would act like stickies but also stick to the top in searches like "watched threads" and "what's new" - I find people who often use the "What's New" (AKA New Posts or Today's Posts) don't get adequately informed of stickies because they don't 'stick' in those views, only forum view... but it's not practical to stick every sticky in every forum so we should be able to designate really important threads as "super stickies" that stick in all views- forums and searches. :)

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I honestly don't like this idea. When searching for content, I expect that results are ordered by relevance. Having stickies appear at the top of almost every search I make would annoy me greatly. If a sticky appears at the top, I could mistakenly assume that it is more relevant than another thread farther down the page.

With the way stickies are being implemented currently (very little visual cues) and how Kier has tacked about sticky's before, I have a feeling this would go against their view of how stickies should be handled.
You may be wondering why you hadn't noticed the sticky thread in this forum.

That is the entire point. If sticky threads are highlighted obviously, users suffer from 'sticky blindness' where they start reading the thread list from underneath the stickies, as they assume they have already seen whatever is stuck there.

If you want your users to actually read your stickies, they should look basically identical to normal threads.
If stickies should look like normal threads, they should also behave like normal threads in search results. :)

Also, why should stickies show up at the top of "What's New" if they're not new?

I have to disagree here, sticky threads are good to be sticky in forumdisplay, but not in search results. :)

Not all stickies would be 'super stickies' - just ones you designate. I think that it's up to the admin to decide if a sticky is important enough to show up in search results... and it would only be stuck if it was relevant... if you search for "Gingerale" and "Gingerale" is in a super-sticky thread, it would be at the top of the search results (stuck)- if you search for "Coca Cola" you won't see the Gingerale super-sticky.

Same with new posts... if there is a new post then the sticky would be at the top, if there isn't a new post then it wouldn't be on the page at all.

If I decide a thread is important enough to be a super-sticky then quite frankly I want my users to see it whether they want to or not.

I think this would be better as a mod. I don't see any real benefit to this, and with as much overhead searching can take I don't see it as a good idea to do further checks for every sticky, determine which is a "super stick," then display them. I can imagine it would actually get annoying to see the same thread that has nothing to do with your search terms.

I can imagine it would actually get annoying to see the same thread that has nothing to do with your search terms.
Did you read what I posted? It would only stick if it was relevant to the search term!
If the sticky was going to be returned anywhere in the results it would simply be put on top. I can't see how this would even be accomplished by a mod if not built in.

Not all stickies would be 'super stickies' - just ones you designate. I think that it's up to the admin to decide if a sticky is important enough to show up in search results... and it would only be stuck if it was relevant... if you search for "Gingerale" and "Gingerale" is in a super-sticky thread, it would be at the top of the search results (stuck)- if you search for "Coca Cola" you won't see the Gingerale super-sticky.

Same with new posts... if there is a new post then the sticky would be at the top, if there isn't a new post then it wouldn't be on the page at all.

If I decide a thread is important enough to be a super-sticky then quite frankly I want my users to see it whether they want to or not.

The problem is that even if the sticky was mildly related (say, shared a single keyword in a reply), it would show up in the search results and automatically appear at the top, even if it was normally on page 15 or something. :)

I still stand by my opinion. :)

Did you read what I posted? It would only stick if it was relevant to the search term!
If the sticky was going to be returned anywhere in the results it would simply be put on top. I can't see how this would even be accomplished by a mod if not built in.

Sorry, I'm a bit tired and probably looked over it, haha. This forum is addicting. :(

I can kind of see how this feature would be nice to have when I think if over a bit carefully.

The problem is that even if the sticky was mildly related (say, shared a single keyword in a reply), it would show up in the search results and automatically appear at the top, even if it was normally on page 15 or something. :)

I still stand by my opinion. :)

First- is this search even going to be sorted by relevance? In VB it's not, if the search term is in a post it shows up, most recent on top. I may have missed it but I didn't see anything about a sorted by relevance search on XF.

Second- even if that was the case that's why it's up to the admin (or mod if the admin so allows) to make that decision... if the subject is really that important to be a super-sticky then it deserves top placement.

But we can agree to disagree if you're not convinced.

I'm pretty sure that in vBulletin, any announcements posted appear at the top of the "New Posts" search results list. Once the announcement functionality is implemented (according to this thread, it isn't yet), you may want to re-visit this suggestion.

Yep, it does. I just posted a new announcement with my account, then checked "New Posts" with a secondary account, and... voila!
announcement-png.406

Once you view the announcement, then re-perform the new posts search, it's no longer listed (just like other threads).

Attachments

• announcement.webp
    announcement.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 60
I think stickies/Important threads ( whatever you wish to call it ) should have a separator between them and normal topics and that is about it. :)

I think stickies/Important threads ( whatever you wish to call it ) should have a separator between them and normal topics and that is about it. :)

Might want to start a separate suggestion thread if there isn't one already.

Top Bottom