Lack of interest Suggestion - "Super Stickies"

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

BirdOPrey5

These would act like stickies but also stick to the top in searches like "watched threads" and "what's new" - I find people who often use the "What's New" (AKA New Posts or Today's Posts) don't get adequately informed of stickies because they don't 'stick' in those views, only forum view... but it's not practical to stick every sticky in every forum so we should be able to designate really important threads as "super stickies" that stick in all views- forums and searches. :)

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
With regards to the separator Kier said his goal is to make stickies look as much like regular threads as possible to prevent 'sticky blindness' so I doubt a separation will be included by default.

I have to say that is awesome. A real case of actual thought being put into how these things work in the real world. Kudos :)

With regards to the separator Kier said his goal is to make stickies look as much like regular threads as possible to prevent 'sticky blindness' so I doubt a separation will be included by default.

Then why even have them if by chance that is what he believes? Kinda defeats the whole purpose of them and quite frankly i think the vB/PHPBB way ( no separator ) looks dated and ugly. They make the forum look cluttered especially when a few of them is needed. Not to mention many users i have found at forums who don't have the separator get confused by them because there is hardly any visible difference and with them being at the top some end up clicking them over and over again which leads to frustration. I really hope this is reconsidered.:)

Thanks..

I don't remember what thread he posted in off hand but his reasoning was if a Sticky stands out too much it's too easy for people to ignore... and it's true to a point- I know many of my users naturally skip over the stickies and their eyes auto-focus on the first real thread. That said I still agree with you a separator is the way to go and I'm sure we'll be able to mod this to our liking in the final product. The way I see it is when I post a sticky it's usually for the benefit of my members, if they skip over it, it's their loss.

I don't remember what thread he posted in off hand but his reasoning was if a Sticky stands out too much it's too easy for people to ignore... and it's true to a point- I know many of my users naturally skip over the stickies and their eyes auto-focus on the first real thread. That said I still agree with you a separator is the way to go and I'm sure we'll be able to mod this to our liking in the final product. The way I see it is when I post a sticky it's usually for the benefit of my members, if they skip over it, it's their loss.

I have not had that issue with people ignoring them? Like you they are used as a benefit to my members as well and feel the same way. Threads that i know people will be interested in i usually will stick/pin it and it works wonders and it is what members want. Only becomes a issue for some when there is a ton of them. I remember back at the time one forum started ( most had fled another site that was falling apart ) that i post on regularly was asking the members what software they wanted to be used for the forum. Up to that point the board was using IBB i believe it was called? The prior forum most fled from was vB ( the 2 series that had just upgraded to 3 ) and nearly all went with IPB and this separator was one of the sticking points. The other was the nested quotes. If i can find the posts i'll link back to them if anyone wishes. This board is now the largest in the niche with 4.5+ million posts and nearly 12,000+ members. They still use IPB but like others is frustrated with IPB thanks to the browsing issue that came in with the 3.0 series and IE 7 etc..

Usually i only use announcements for things like major upgrades/issues with site/forum and the sort.

I believe it is safe to say that how stickies, and announcements are used vary widely depending on forum. I think a solid working system, however it looks (to a point) should satisfy most. Some want the stickies to look like regular threads, some want them to stand out, some have 20 stickies, some have 1.

I am not terribly worried about stickies, as long as the base forum software is not filled with many esoteric items that only a few would use.

Top Bottom