Lack of interest [Suggestion] Staff Online Block

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

The Sandman

Now that the XenForo Community has more staff members, the Staff Online block is starting to look a little cluttered. Can we have the option to display small avatars only with username and title on hover, sorta like the blocks on the Members Page?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I was actually just thinking the same thing, the staff online box is rather overwhelming. I agree with the OP, maybe once x-staff online at once display a smaller thumbnail of their avatar and decrease font size?

The point of the block is to see who of the staff is online, having to refresh or click through etc ... voids the purpose, might as well put them in purple in the block with members online, giving them priority and putting them at the top of that long list.

In regards to the way the block itself as it is now, is displayed differently if it's more than 4 or 5 online, could be discussed in the other thread as well. Separate isn't needed, but .. it's not my call - just linking to it, getting info together, rather than scattered. But .. even with small avatars, it wont fix those sites with 10 million posts and 40 moderators.

I feel if you can apply a dual column structure and remove the title and names this would reduce the clutter. If people want to see the staffs data it's already in the membercard upon clicking the avatar.

I like that idea, but.. it's already a column, I personally tend to avoid having to split things in columns, if it's a side bar or not wide- column.

Dual column, small thumbs, username directly above and their title directly below the thumb would solve the problem. Staff online is fine when there's only >5 staff online, but it gets overwhelming after.

I like that idea, but.. it's already a column, I personally tend to avoid having to split things in columns, if it's a side bar or not wide- column.

Making everything in the staff box more compact, you could probably get away with dual column at same width as it is now.

I just did safari > inspect element > and made a 2 column list with mini avatars, and it looks great for 6 ppl (per column), but anything more and it's the same problem again.

I just did safari > inspect element > and made a 2 column list with mini avatars, and it looks great for 6 ppl (per column), but anything more and it's the same problem again.

Can you show a screengrab of it ?

After 12 staff members are displayed (or whatever the admin decides should be shown) have an "View All" link displayed?, and on clicking the view all link, it uses ajax to auto scroll down and show you all online staff.

I think there should be a limit that is shown however; even if you compact it eventually it'll overwhelm the sidebar.

Not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind, but I think I was able to recreate what you were trying to do. :p

View attachment 3205
Would need to display usernames and their titles though.

I propose, keep the staff online list as is right now as it's perfect, but when 5 or more staff are online display an Show all / Show Less button would be best suited. The same way the "Show Less / Show More" comments in user profiles work, no extra pages to load, slick and adopts the same method.

EDIT: As we're on the subject of staff block, it would be cool if the staff online list, instead of being random, why not display staff as they're appear on the active users list? most recent active mod displayed first, second most recent active mod displayed second, etc.

That's the idea!
Glad you like it!

As Floris mentioned, it only took a few quick HTML edits to accomplish. I don't see why this can't be a small option somewhere in the ACP, if not automatic when more than 5 staff members are online.

I propose, keep the staff online list as is right now as it's perfect, but when 5 or more staff are online display an Show all / Show Less button would be best suited. The same way the "Show Less / Show More" comments in user profiles work, no extra pages to load, slick and adopts the same method.
I think this would work well with the scrolling effect used by the pagination system. (Obviously vertically instead of horizontally.)

As we're on the subject of staff block, it would be cool if the staff online list, instead of being random, why not display staff as they're appear on the active users list? most recent active mod displayed first, second most recent active mod displayed second, etc.

It already does.

Top Bottom