Lack of interest [Suggestion] Sidebar Toggle Feature.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
In communities with many forums, it will look ugly.

Here is a good example:

y64umcd7.png

There will be a useless empty space. Thats why it should be placed at the bottem.

I wouldn't say that looks ugly, I think it's a good use of space. If you remove that sidebar, how much horizontal space are you going to have in the forum rows that can be used for something a lot better - ie, the sidebar.

I was surprised by how nice it looks. But there could be a cut-off if it's super busy. I like how it is split in:
Your stuff
staff online
users online
room for additional blocks

Perfectly fine with me :)

Empty space? No problem!
Just let admins put blocks in there to hold other content, highlights for important articles, links to other parts of the site, relevant advertising etc.
There's a reason why so many larger forums go to a right column layout, actually there's several reasons, but the point is we really should have a way to build/use a right column out of the box, 300x250 ads are the best paying adsense format, and have been for awhile. ;)

I'm hoping/assuming that, based on the presence of multiple widgets/info boxes in the right column already that we'll have the ability to arrange what order things show and add our own custom choices to show there.

Empty space? No problem!
Just let admins put blocks in there to hold other content, highlights for important articles, links to other parts of the site, relevant advertising etc.
There's a reason why so many larger forums go to a right column layout, actually there's several reasons, but the point is we really should have a way to build/use a right column out of the box, 300x250 ads are the best paying adsense format, and have been for awhile. ;)

I'm hoping/assuming that, based on the presence of multiple widgets/info boxes in the right column already that we'll have the ability to arrange what order things show and add our own custom choices to show there.

Where is my :thumbsup: smilie?

Empty space? No problem!

I like this idea.

While many like the look of the forum (xf). I believe that users should have a choice with the sidebar, or view the entire width of the form. I do not propose to kill the sidebar, I propose that option. On the other engines seemed to have the opportunity to choose. Yes, can not be strudno will own a little change a template, but not everyone can, much easier when you can just make the settings. In general, I think it would be nice if you can choose. that was an alternative layout of the forum

Do you mean on a per user basis or an admin setting which gives the same view to all users?
Which other forum solutions allow the user to configure which sidebars are shown or not on forum home?

I'm not sure collapse means the same thing as remove though.
A collapse usually involves a toggle on the header which then expands the section again.

If a section is removed completely then how would the user re-enable it?
It would need a whole new UI to deal with the layout.

He seems to be talking about a user setting:

'I believe that users should have a choice with the sidebar, or view the entire width of the form.'

So as I said, it will need some kind of settings page to achieve that as you will need to be able to switch stuff back on.

At the end of the day though, it's up to the site owner how they configure their site and they can't try to please everyone, as we have seen here.

That is so for example:
That the admin panel was a function sidebar off or on.
If enable this option, so that was an option allow or deny the user hide the sidebar. In ipb3 like can be so.

Make 2 styles :) And link in the sidebar to the second style that doesn't have the sidebar :p
It's one of the few options to turn it on/off.

Top Bottom