Lack of interest [Suggestion] Short thread URLs

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm liking the idea, but unfortunately http://xenforo.com/community/t/2132 is still long by "short URL" standards. You could get rid of the /t and save two characters, but it's still kind of long.

It would be really cool to see this and a "make a tinyURL for this thread" button, to get a true short URL quickly when needed. :)

True. A lot of sites run their forums in the root directory, so that would get rid of the /community/ bit as well.

Your other idea is pretty nice too. There could be built in integration with bit.ly for example (via their API), perhaps using one admin-specified bit.ly account for all short links created.

This would take away pagerank if posted on other forums and websites not including twitter and social bookmarking sites.
They would be 301 permanent redirects, so pagerank would not be affected. Moreover, what would be the difference between using these "built-in" short URLs and short URLs from a 3rd-party URL shortening service?

Confluence Wiki has this cool feature, allowing you to use a short URL that never changes.
You can use that link into emails, or other locations, without worrying that it will eventually break (title change, etc.).

Normal URL:
domain.com/wiki/programming/add+an+empty+text+line

Short URL:
domain.com/wiki/x/1RiQBQ

I think it is a good feature for forum threads and posts.

It actually does all of that ;) But not using it in that manner, it's 100% being used for this site, as I feel that it has xenforo in the domain. Just had the option to get it, so others wouldn't "steal" it from xenforo limited for commercial ends.

It actually does all of that ;) But not using it in that manner, it's 100% being used for this site, as I feel that it has xenforo in the domain. Just had the option to get it, so others wouldn't "steal" it from xenforo limited for commercial ends.
Nice little script :P I think you should make a splash page on xenfo.ro though... so it doesn't redirect unless there's a parameter!

Top Bottom