1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Thread URLs

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by RichardGaspa, Feb 1, 2015.

1. RichardGaspa

RichardGaspa Active Member

We have only been using XenForo for approximately two months so let me apologize if the following question is a basic newbi problem that I should already know the answer too.

Our thread / post URLs are extremely long. When I or a member of the forum links the thread to Facebook, Twitter, etc. the posting looks very messy and unattractive. ( you can see what I am talking about here) Is there a way that XenForo can shorten our thread URLS and make them look nicer when they are linked?

When we link to Twitter, the thread URL takes most of the 140 allowable chatterers that can be used in a Twitter posting.

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

3. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

... or try using one of the URL shortener :)

4. RichardGaspa

RichardGaspa Active Member

@RoldanLT
    Thank you for the suggestion. If I do this, do I have to worry about all the links that were already added in past Facebook, twitter and email postings? Will they still work?

5. RoldanLT

Yes of course.

6. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

That's what I do, I prefer the shorter URL's.

7. RoldanLT

I hope no SEO disadvantage? :rolleyes:

8. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

Just wondering if short url's affect SEO...

9. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

One could argue that URL's which don't contain titles can actually be better for SEO. The idea is that instead of just pasting a URL with the tile included, the poster needs to describe the URL in the post, therefore this might actually be better for SEO.

Example with thread title in URL:

Code:
    This is what I have.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/sidi-crossfire-2-ta.128115/

Example without thread title in URL:

Code:
    I really like my Sidi Crossfire TA boots.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/128115/