Implemented [Suggestion] Search through PMs

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's just a bit complex as it needs a fair amount of work to get something that would actually have reasonable performance. But agreed that it would be nice.

(Moving this to bigger suggestions.)

I too would love to see this, but as Mike says, it's going to be a fairly major undertaking. I would not anticipate seeing it in XenForo 1.0.

The Personal Conversation area is lacking some basic things that I would like to see. I haven't gone through it yet - usage hours is under 1 hour. But, the ability to sort on date or conversation starter, or search smart through titles/content, and see who's included, kick someone out, or inline edit close the conversation, or even inline tools to select for author and delete all, or something .. are just a few things i want to look at and hope is going to be there eventually. I also want to see which ones are active, old, I "left", etc. It's just a list right now.

The Personal Conversation area is lacking some basic things that I would like to see. I haven't gone through it yet - usage hours is under 1 hour. But, the ability to sort on date or conversation starter, or search smart through titles/content, and see who's included, kick someone out, or inline edit close the conversation, or even inline tools to select for author and delete all, or something .. are just a few things i want to look at and hope is going to be there eventually. I also want to see which ones are active, old, I "left", etc. It's just a list right now.

Completely agreed.

It's just a bit complex as it needs a fair amount of work to get something that would actually have reasonable performance. But agreed that it would be nice.

(Moving this to bigger suggestions.)

I would rather have a search without reasonable performance than none at all. Why? Because it won't be something I'd use that often, and it's not a facility open to anyone except registered members with messages. So I don't think it would be used that much. And assuming you set overall PM limits anyway per usergroup, you would ensure general members only have a maximum of X messages to actually search though. And so what if it takes five seconds to give a result instead of 0.5 seconds, it's quicker than looking manually :)

I would rather have a search without reasonable performance than none at all. Why? Because it won't be something I'd use that often, and it's not a facility open to anyone except registered members with messages. So I don't think it would be used that much. And assuming you set overall PM limits anyway per usergroup, you would ensure general members only have a maximum of X messages to actually search though. And so what if it takes five seconds to give a result instead of 0.5 seconds, it's quicker than looking manually :)
This. Being able to search through Personal Conversations will be important to us. In addition to this:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-attachments-for-pc.1401/

Without the PCs being friendly to use, they will need to trade emails, and on our forums many people like to be anonymous and not reveal their email addresses. They will simply give up, which on our particular forum is extremely painful.

In addition I am unclear what it means to 'leave' a personal conversation. If I tell my members they can leave a personal conversation, but it cannot be deleted, they may be more apt to keep them around unless they are bumping up against their limits. So they may want to search too, and want bigger PC boxes (if that is what they will be called).

I think it will take some real world testing among the masses to really work through things.

Yes, but you have to consider that in spite of this, if there is poor performance it will reflect on XenForo's reputation, like it or not. Thus, it should not be implemented until it can be done properly.

I like this!
I'm nowhere near as experienced as Kier or Mike but how come this is a major performance issue? Isn't it just to create a class to hold all the PM's fetched from the database(which you're already doing when you're loading the personal conversation page), then when searching just search that class with all that user's PM's?

Top Bottom