[Suggestion] Review content

Something similar to iReviews, GARS, jReviews and that will allow us to create our own review section, similar to tripadvisor, hotels.com, GSMarena.com, amazon.com, CNET, etc.

A review is basically the same as an article, but has custom fields functions, possibility to add predefined questions to those fields and rating functions. The author gives ratings. Users can respond to the review with comments and with ratings. This yields an average user rating.

• Reviews should have different sections, so you could for example have sections for movie reviews, restaurant reviews and product reviews.
  • permissions per section
  • The overview of reviews of each section, should allow for different display options, to be set by the admin.
  • Reviews should have:
  • Author ratings, with pretty AJAX stars, bars and other pretty rating scales.
  • Member ratings
  • Combined rating averages.
  • Rating value should have an alt text. For example: if you choose to have ratings with 1 - 5 stars, then hovering over a 5 star rating could state 'excellent', while hovering over a 1 star rating could stat
  • Admins should be able to define rating questions and custom fields.
  • Custom fields should allow:
    1. fields that work like tags. i.e. clicking on the word 'spaghetti' in a custom field would lead to all restaurants that serve spaghetti.
    2. fields with AJAX autofill functions.
    3. single line text fields
    4. multiple line text fields
    5. mandatory fields
    6. tickbox fields
    7. payment methods icons
  • Google maps integration.
  • amazon.com affiliate integration
  • allow paid listing trough subscriptions and paid expanded listings. (when paid for more custom fields become visible)
  • Ability to compare prices of all vendors that sell product X
  • Summary charts for all restaurants that serve Y. i.e. a table that lists those restaurant, with the data from custom fields, as the admin defines.
  • Search for restaurants that have specific data in custom fields X, Y and Z.
Reviews should be loaded with interactive AJAX functions.

I can't imagine many forums would have need of such a feature.

It's best suited to a mod in my opinion.

We would love something like this on my forum, since the foundation of my site is reviews. But I can see this is probably a niche thing and yes I expect best left for modders.

Actually there are many forums using GARS or ReviewPost and a review content type is in high demand on both vb as IPB.

The fact that GARS is a third party mod and has been abandoned since years ago, has stopped a substantial number of vbulletin sites from upgrading to vb4. And for this reason many admins demanded this feature from IB, after IB had scrapped it from development. Even vb.org uses GARS. Although that isn't directly related to XF, it does show there is a lot of demand for reviews and also what the problem is with having major features as third party mods. Currently 4 of my major addons are abandoned or without a developer. (GARS, NuWiki, LDM, NuSEO)

Something similar to iReviews, GARS, jReviews and that will allow us to create our own review section, similar to tripadvisor, hotels.com, GSMarena.com, amazon.com, CNET, etc.

A review is basically the same as an article, but has custom fields functions, possibility to add predefined questions to those fields and rating functions. The author gives ratings. Users can respond to the review with comments and with ratings. This yields an average user rating.

• Reviews should have different sections, so you could for example have sections for movie reviews, restaurant reviews and product reviews.
  • permissions per section
  • The overview of reviews of each section, should allow for different display options, to be set by the admin.
  • Reviews should have:
  • Author ratings, with pretty AJAX stars, bars and other pretty rating scales.
  • Member ratings
  • Combined rating averages.
  • Rating value should have an alt text. For example: if you choose to have ratings with 1 - 5 stars, then hovering over a 5 star rating could state 'excellent', while hovering over a 1 star rating could stat
  • Admins should be able to define rating questions and custom fields.
  • Custom fields should allow:
    1. fields that work like tags. i.e. clicking on the word 'spaghetti' in a custom field would lead to all restaurants that serve spaghetti.
    2. fields with AJAX autofill functions.
    3. single line text fields
    4. multiple line text fields
    5. mandatory fields
    6. tickbox fields
    7. payment methods icons
  • Google maps integration.
  • amazon.com affiliate integration
  • allow paid listing trough subscriptions and paid expanded listings. (when paid for more custom fields become visible)
  • Ability to compare prices of all vendors that sell product X
  • Summary charts for all restaurants that serve Y. i.e. a table that lists those restaurant, with the data from custom fields, as the admin defines.
  • Search for restaurants that have specific data in custom fields X, Y and Z.
Reviews should be loaded with interactive AJAX functions.
Well said, I was to lasy to specify it, though it should be pretty clear to coders :)

Sorry to say that, but your opinion is wrong. Check out vB forums for instance, it s one of the most requested (and still postponed feature). In fact, we will upgrade our boards, when somebody will make this option by default, and as Alfa stated, many users are stuck into 3d party solutions.

Fabian on vB stated, that this will be included in next vB version, so we re hanging out to see, what is to come out from who.

The fact that GARS is a third party mod and has been abandoned since years ago <snip>

the problem is with having major features as third party mods. Currently 4 of my major addons are abandoned or without a developer. (GARS, NuWiki, LDM, NuSEO)
Thinking at a more abstract level, could another solution be to give more incentive to have 3rd party modifications?

Unless I am missing something really obvious, vborg and modification for other platforms rely on the members kindness and intimate knowledge & coding skill with no tangible benefits.

?

Actually there are many forums using GARS or ReviewPost and a review content type is in high demand on both vb as IPB.

The fact that GARS is a third party mod and has been abandoned since years ago, has stopped a substantial number of vbulletin sites from upgrading to vb4. And for this reason many admins demanded this feature from IB, after IB had scrapped it from development. Even vb.org uses GARS. Although that isn't directly related to XF, it does show there is a lot of demand for reviews and also what the problem is with having major features as third party mods. Currently 4 of my major addons are abandoned or without a developer. (GARS, NuWiki, LDM, NuSEO)

vB.org doesn't use Gars. They use a custom builded modification system.

I agree a review section is highly needed however it is best to leave review system for CMS or an addon.

I and my members loved GARS(Geek Articles and Review System) and all of thegeek addons such as GAB(Geek Advertising Banner System) and GAL(Geek Auto Linker), but I steped away from it when thegeek hand it over to morgan :/ those 3 mods where highly popular in my view. I would love to see GARS and GAL for Xenforo!

Just wanted to add, that I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE if a system was in place with Xenforo as described above.

I have been racking my brains and researching for months on moving my forums to a platform that has nicely integrated reviews. So many of our niche forums are about products.
I was almost set to go with GARS, but then it looks like that's abandoned. Such a pity. Looking at having something custom written, but afraid to get tied into a proprietary system. Looking at Huddler.com as they have their own reviews, but that is handing over so much control to another company.

Have been researching Xenforo, and if my big board, with VBSEO can be transferred, I'd consider that, but it would be a no brainer for me if there was a nice review section like described above. If anyone has any info, please post here or PM me. :)

I really like the cnet reviews system. I had not checked it out for some time, so I dont know if it is new or not.

Top Bottom