Lack of interest Suggestion: "Report Post" button

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Enigma

Here's an idea to enhance the "Report post" button. When you click "Report", it pops up a menu with:
  • Spam
  • Personal Attack
  • Duplicate Post
  • Other...
If you click one of the first three, a bit of ajaxy goodness will report the post and you're done. If you click "Other..." then you get the current overlay where you type in a reason.

In the future the admin could specify/customise the items in the menu.

Just an idea to streamline the reporting process. :)

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
But if you clicked, say, Personal Attack, what if they were linked to the post and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong. At least with the text-box we can explain the situation no matter what situation it might be.

could possibly have a checkbox other and then a field opens up and you can type what the problem is. If I read your post correctly.

But if you clicked, say, Personal Attack, what if they were linked to the post and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong. At least with the text-box we can explain the situation no matter what situation it might be.

An optional checkbox that asks "Add comment?" that would load the textarea would fix that.

If you want to explain the problem, click "Other..." The first 3 would be shortcuts to use when appropriate, otherwise you're free to explain. "Other.." could be renamed to "Explain..." as well.

I was thinking more like a Dropdown box with a bunch of different options (i.e. Spam, Flaming, Trolling, Other) and underneath a text-box. Just make both fields required and that would make it more certain of what was going on.

That could work. What I was thinking was to make it simpler-- just one click (well, two) to report spam, etc, without having to type anything.

Lol or a can of Spam icon beside the number of each post that you click on, it then asks for confirmation and you can report Spam that easy. [/joke]

No idea if an infraction-type system is in here (which I hope so but who knows), but if it is maybe report reasons can be tied to different infractions. So, if the administrator has "Spam" as a listing, "Spam" can appear in the report post form. There can also be a set of options to decide whether or not an infraction reason will appear in the report post form (great for Spam First Offense, Spam Second Offense type infractions).

Infraction systems are a good way to kill your forum's membership and to light up extra drama.

This is exactly my experience. For example: everytime I log into vB4's User Settings over at vbulletin.com, or even worse: my own profile!, the mention of the infraction I got over there months ago, glances at me. It is not making me feel welcome, is it? I know more people feel like this. That's why I never activated the whole thing on my own platform. Again, I have contributed many suggestions to remove it at least from the profile, but it was never picked up.

Yep when i get an infraction, i don't really feel to be active anymore as my time spent on the forum could be wasted easily. Instead we need a better way of handling it.

Agree on the infractions.

Nothing turns me off a forum quicker than that, especially expired ones that stay on your profile for ever.

Revisit it completely; consistency.

A report content module that's called when report is clicked, recognizing where you come from, offering an array of admin definable options and a reason input box.

This way it's consistent throughout the system. For users, threads/posts, conversations, profile comments, future~ blog, cms, gallery comments.
Perhaps the system can have content types, and the module recognizes if any new ones are there, offering their respectable admin area options.

This way improving on the report module will mean the improvements are throughout the system.

Chances are though, if the mod can't discern what was wrong with the post, then there isn't anything wrong with the post to begin with?

Is this a good place to suggest moving the 'report' button a bit? I almost clicked on it several times when 'liking' a post.

Never did like infractions. It's like being at school or work. I spend enough time being warned/told off in my work time, don't want to get it in my leisure time as well. So any forum that starts that infraction nonsense, I leave immediately.

Top Bottom