Lack of interest [Suggestion] Private forum/dicsussions - show forum/discussion members

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

gib

For open discussions/forums, it's easy to know who you are sharing content with, as it will either be all anonymous users or all site members.

For private discussions/forums, it's not obvious to site members who they are sharing content with.
So for private discussion/forums, would it be possible to allow the site member to easily see who is a member of the private discussion/forum group ?

Here's a mockup of it on the main forum listing, but it would just be for private forums.
If the user clicked on the 'Members' text, it could show the discussion/forum group members.

If it didn't go on the main forum display page, it could maybe go in the Members tab, showing a list of private groups that the user has access to and the private group members.

mockup2.webp

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It's for private forums, to make it easy for members of private forums to know who they are sharing posted content with

actually good idea. If we clicked the members in the forum info would we see a list of the people who can view the forum?

actually good idea. If we clicked the members in the forum info would we see a list of the people who can view the forum?

Yes, that's what I was meaning, you would get a list of private forum members, if you clicked on the "Members" text.

It's not quite what you are looking for, but I wrote a XenForo addon that allows you to choose which groups should be listed on a staff page. With the options included you can easily make it do something like you are suggesting. You can name the tab, and page, to what ever you like from the options, for your example: Private Forum Members. Then in options select the group(s) who can access the private forum to have them listed on the staff page. It'll list all the members of that group, and show on the staff page if they are online or not.

I'll add in an option to allow admins to set if only members of selected groups, or everyone, can access the staff page.

It should include the usual warning that no private forum is ever really private, so that people don't have a false sense of security.

Anthony, would you expand on that a little for us noobs?

Sorry, I didn't mean it was a software issue - I mean that no matter how "private" a forum is, so long as someone can download or copy/paste, the information is never actually private.

So, if people see a list of who all gets to see their information, they're going to have a false sense of security - as any one of those people could share that information.

It's better knowing than not knowing with private forums.

Look at the mess FB is in, folks are sharing rather dodgy info with friends, family, work and drinking buddies, not a good mix !!
Yes, they can create lists, but lots of users don't know about lists and wouldn't know how they work.

Top Bottom