Lack of interest [SUGGESTION] Option to show online users in threads / thread list

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Our members love (need) the option to see who's online in a thread. I really hope this can be added in beta/gold.
like the product that Paul M did for vB? personally i think that all the PM's products must be integrated here ... :)

It's been suggested before I believe, but I'm not sure when or if it'd appear. As always, it's important for people to like the suggestions they, well, like. :)

Right now I'm on an ipb3 site that has a topic relating to a football club takeover. It's great to see how many people are following it. I'm in favour of this suggestion.

I seem to recall we went round the houses several times with regards to this subject a few weeks ago.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-online-status-viewing-purpose.1084/

No-one could agree on how it would be implemented or if it even should be.

This was (one of) my suggestion(s):

online_dot-png.538

This is a different suggestion, Brogan.

The suggestion here is to list usernames of people who are currently viewing the thread you're in or the forum/sub-forum you're in. vB, IPB, and phpBB all do this...wouldn't surprise me if all the major forum software providers offer this.

What you're referring to is an indicator on a per user basis as to whether or not they are online - not exactly where they currently are in the forums.

This is a different suggestion, Brogan.
Gotcha.

Do you mean a dedicated page, or at the bottom of each forum/thread?

phpBB have a dedicated page and list people browsing a forum but they don't do it at thread level.

The other threads didn't get much attention and I know this is a very popular feature in many communities... Maybe the unpopular threads can be removed and/or merged with this one.

Or maybe you don't keep creating new threads but instead add to existing threads?

Do you mean a dedicated page, or at the bottom of each forum/thread?

A list of users at the bottom of each forum and the bottom of each thread

phpBB have a dedicated page and list people browsing a forum but they don't do it at thread level.

Yeah, that might be all they offer...I don't know, not too familiar with phpBB myself.

I'd rather have it at the top actually. Tucking it at the bottom doesn't bring it much attention. Have it as a collapsable box so that those who don't wish to view it can just collapse it(and have it remember that so that if you collapse it and then view another thread, the box is collapsed). While collapsed it could like.. only display how many users are viewing the thread.

And there's so much confusion regarding the feature "Who's viewing what" since it really involves 3 different features.

#1. On profiles; Show what the user is viewing currently
#2. On forum index(next to the forum-name) and in forums(next to the thread-name); Show how many users are viewing the forum/thread
#3. In forums and in threads; Show who is currently viewing the thread

(#4) Then there's the feature called "Who has viewed/read" which only affects threads. Basically a list of people who have some time(not neccessarily right now) have read that thread. So 4 different features that are almost the same..

No wonder there's so much confusion :D
I know that #1 has been implemented but any news regarding #2, #3 and #4?

Top Bottom