[Suggestion] Option to display the page node navigation and content in separate columns

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Too late for the beta obviously but I was thinking a useful option for the Pages feature would be to have the option on a per page basis to have the node navigation displayed with the content wrapped or in a separate column.

In some cases it would be better to have a separate navigation menu down the left hand side.

It could be an option in the ACP when creating/editing the page.

page.webp

Upvote 8
It requires a template customization at the moment forcing the left column to be a fixed width, to achieve that.

From the feedback from my testers I noticed that not many like the "unfinished" look the wrapping introduces.

+1 for this suggestion.

Considering that plenty of people have now had the opportunity to play around with the Pages feature, is there no-one else who would like to see an ACP controlled setting to achieve this column based layout, rather than wrapping?

I'd really like to see this in the core on a per page basis, rather than having to do a template edit.

I tried putting the page node navigation in the sidebar but can't get it to work.

From what I can see, the <xen:sidebar> needs to come directly after the <xen:if hascontent="true"> to fully enclose the pageNodeNavigation div.
However that results in an error when trying to save the template:
The following templates contained errors and were not saved: pagenode_container: 1) Line 21: Contentcheck tag found that was not a direct child of an if tag with hascontent attribute.

Putting the sidebar tags outside the Contentcheck tags removes the sidebar from pages which have sidebar tags/content and just replaces it with a blank sidebar.

Shame as it does look quite good in the sidebar.

I'm sure there's a way of doing it so I'll keep plugging away to see if I can get it working.

a useful option for the Pages feature would be to have the option on a per page basis to have the node navigation displayed with the content wrapped or in a separate column.
+1 Good idea.
Could always put it in <xen:sidebar /> ?

In some cases it would be better to have a separate navigation menu down the left hand side.
or the right side ?
or no navigation at all ?
or the right side ... but wrapped ?

It could be an option in the ACP when creating/editing the page.
+1 agreed.

Pages are a cool alpha idea, but they need refining, with a specific eye towards
It's hard to criticize pages as they are what they are - not much so far.

xenforo.com doesn't use pages .... I'm not sure what to think about that. I think it says something, just not sure what.

Top Bottom