1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] Option to display the page node navigation and content in separate columns

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Brogan, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Too late for the beta obviously but I was thinking a useful option for the Pages feature would be to have the option on a per page basis to have the node navigation displayed with the content wrapped or in a separate column.

In some cases it would be better to have a separate navigation menu down the left hand side.

It could be an option in the ACP when creating/editing the page.

2. Floris

Floris Guest

It requires a template customization at the moment forcing the left column to be a fixed width, to achieve that.

From the feedback from my testers I noticed that not many like the "unfinished" look the wrapping introduces.

+1 for this suggestion.
    Alluidh likes this.
  3. Brogan

Well I got the idea from you Floris so I can't claim credit for it :)
  4. Floris

Floris Guest

Ok, 2 likes for me!

5. Brogan

No-one else think this is a useful feature? :(
  6. Brogan

Considering that plenty of people have now had the opportunity to play around with the Pages feature, is there no-one else who would like to see an ACP controlled setting to achieve this column based layout, rather than wrapping?

I'd really like to see this in the core on a per page basis, rather than having to do a template edit.
  7. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Could always put it in <xen:sidebar /> ?
  8. Alluidh

Alluidh Well-Known Member

After working with pages I think it is a very useful feature, because I need this design too ...
  9. Brogan

I tried putting the page node navigation in the sidebar but can't get it to work.

From what I can see, the <xen:sidebar> needs to come directly after the <xen:if hascontent="true"> to fully enclose the pageNodeNavigation div.
    However that results in an error when trying to save the template:
    The following templates contained errors and were not saved: pagenode_container: 1) Line 21: Contentcheck tag found that was not a direct child of an if tag with hascontent attribute.

Putting the sidebar tags outside the Contentcheck tags removes the sidebar from pages which have sidebar tags/content and just replaces it with a blank sidebar.

Shame as it does look quite good in the sidebar.

I'm sure there's a way of doing it so I'll keep plugging away to see if I can get it working.
  10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

+1 Good idea.
    or the right side ?
    or no navigation at all ?
    or the right side ... but wrapped ?

+1 agreed.

Pages are a cool alpha idea, but they need refining, with a specific eye towards
    It's hard to criticize pages as they are what they are - not much so far.

xenforo.com doesn't use pages .... I'm not sure what to think about that. I think it says something, just not sure what.