[Suggestion] Navigation-Tabs / BreadCrumb-Navigation

erich37

1)
to make things easier with navigation at the main-tabs and also within the Bread-Crumbs, I would suggest to skip the "Home"-button and make the "Forums" being the "Home" of the website.

Because clicking onto the "Home"-Tab within the Bread-Crumb-navigation, brings you back to the blue start-screen, which is rather annoying.......

BreadCrumb-navigation is currently only 2 levels deep, instead of showing all levels to help the user understand at which screen he currently is at.

For example, being at "Forums / What´s New" shows BreadCrumb "Home / Forums".

2)
When the user is within the "Forums"-Tab / "What´s New", he does not see that he can still click onto the "Forums"-Tab again in order to get back to the Forums-Overview.

Currently, this is not very intuitive UI. But rather confusing.

KISS
Keep It Simple & Sexy

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you regarding the Homepage, so I guess this is rather flexible and could be changed by the webmaster towards his specific needs.

However, the Bread-Crumb-navigation is still a bit confusing at the moment......

Why? The breadcrumb shows the path to get to the page you are on - you must consider the page title to be the final breadcrumb.
For example, being at "Forums / What´s New" shows BreadCrumb "Home / Forums".
Right - because the path to get to 'What's New' from the site root is Home > Forums, and then you are there - the page title.

I agree with erich37 in the sense that I too keep clicking "home" instinctively to get to the forum home and instead get to the blue screen. BUT if/when I install Xenforo then "home" would need to take people to my site home as intended. So I'm happy with it, but maybe it will be less annoying here when "home" eventually has other stuff and company info.

- I would say having the Bread-Crumb show at which page you actually are, would give additional help to the user.
- "What´s New" in the navigation translates into page-title "New Threads" (this needs naming-consistency).
- clicking onto "Home / Registered Members" shows page-title "Members" instead of "Registered Members" (this needs naming-consistency, maybe change to "All Members" for Tab and page-title).

- clicking onto "Watched Threads"-Tab brings you to "Unread Watched Threads". This is not what the user is expecting to receive when clicking on "Watched Threads". The user wants to see all his "Watched threads" and then from there he can go and see which Threads are still "unread". This is confusing currently.

- for "Forums / Watched Threads" I guess you already mentioned to move this away from the User-Account (back into the Forum-section), which would be much better than it is now.

You assume that everyone will have the forum home page as the root of their site. This is not the case.
What about perhaps adding an option to hide the Home link if there's no URL entered? So those with just forums as a home can do so without the need of a Home/Forum tab.

I agree with erich37 in the sense that I too keep clicking "home" instinctively to get to the forum home and instead get to the blue screen. BUT if/when I install Xenforo then "home" would need to take people to my site home as intended. So I'm happy with it, but maybe it will be less annoying here when "home" eventually has other stuff and company info.

yeah, you just do not click onto the "Forum-Tab" (when you are already at a sub-page of the Forum-Tab, like e.g. "What´s New") , because you just do not see that clicking onto the Forum-Tab AGAIN will bring you back to the Forums-overview. This is just a visibility-issue (hoover or underline missing at Forum-Tab) that you just do not recognize that clicking onto "Forum" will give you the Forum-overview. Which is the reason you always click onto "Home" to get the Forums-overview.

I am not talking about deleting the "Home"-Tab, it is just that you do not recognize to click onto "Forum" to get back to the Forums-list (when being within a sub-page of the Forums-page).

Why? The breadcrumb shows the path to get to the page you are on - you must consider the page title to be the final breadcrumb.
Right - because the path to get to 'What's New' from the site root is Home > Forums, and then you are there - the page title.

The Forums-Overview-page: it has the BreadCrumb "Home / Forum"
http://xenforo.com/community/

The "What´s New"-page: it has the BreadCrumb "Home / Forum"
http://xenforo.com/community/find-new/86373/threads

Same BreadCrumb for 2 different pages ?
Would help if BreadCrumbs themselves also show at which page you actually are.

It's really very simple. Enter the url to your forum home in the acp, then the Home tab will take you to forumhome :)

It's really very simple. Enter the url to your forum home in the acp, then the Home tab will take you to forumhome :)

I don't necessarily like that, so that what I had suggested this:

What about perhaps adding an option to hide the Home link if there's no URL entered? So those with just forums as a home can do so without the need of a Home/Forum tab.
:)

Top Bottom