[Suggestion] Moderation - users can select a recommended action

James

Credit to Marcus for the original idea which I quoted!
Opened a new suggestion so this could be discussed with the expansion.

Report post > Textbox, but also suggested moderator actions like
  • "This topic is better placed in forum .... all forums are displayed here".
  • delete topic
  • move topic within this topic ... link to other topic inserted here
The moderator then just has to "click yes" and its done. An admins dream !
This could be interesting. It could be integrated with the report handler. Consider them generic options.

[ ] Delete Topic/post - {reason}
[ ] Merge Topic/post with [postID of another topic]
[ ] Move Topic/post to [dropdown]

[ ] = checkbox/radio.

This way, when it is reported, if the moderator agrees with the action that the user has selected as the recommended action, they can click a link ("perform" maybe?) and it will automatically perform the action.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to automate moderation with Kier + Mike's awesome work, so I suggested it as a small feature because it isn't standalone.

Upvote 15
Clarifying the rule that is broken results in clarifying the outcome (in some cases).
A user double-posts - action? Merge posts.
A user is spamming - action? Delete post.
A user has posted in the wrong forum - action? Move post/thread.

I prefer Brogan's idea more.

Users shouldn't be able to suggest actions a moderator should take (Clarifying the reason for the report isn't the same).  

I saw something like that on "stackexchange" and on "discourse".

Examples (choosing an option can be possibile to add a message):

Discourse

upload_2017-6-3_17-43-50-png.153215

StackExchange

upload_2017-6-3_17-45-47-png.153216

This should be really easy to implement. Its just a checkbox/radio buttons on the report overlay.
And it makes a world of difference to moderation. We now live in a world where things like fake news, harassment, hate speech can result in real problems for a website. We need better tools to deal with it.

@Kintaro I really like your approach to this, as it would bring us on par with other platforms that offer it.

The only thing that remains is, what would we do with this added information? Would it be an additional line in a report, perhaps like this?

"Reason: It's Off-Topic"

Our members have no problem telling us what is wrong with a post when they report it (since they like to vent to us also ;) ). But with some pre-suggested report reasons, that might encourage them to report things faster, rather than wait until it has spiraled out of control.

BTW, we use a "crowd moderation" add-on on the different forums I run. After a certain number of reports from different members for the same post, it soft-deletes the message so staff can tend to it. (Naturally I won't give out the number of reports it takes...and it varies by site anyway.) I could see enhancing the crowd moderation feature by allowing only one "Reason: It's Spam" vote to knock a spam post offline, whereas off-topic posts could probably not be soft deleted at all.

I saw something like that on "stackexchange" and on "discourse".

Examples (choosing an option can be possibile to add a message):

Discourse

upload_2017-6-3_17-43-50-png.153215

StackExchange

upload_2017-6-3_17-45-47-png.153216

You'll note the "10 flags remaining" notice at the bottom of the StackExchange facility - StackExchange is actually quite complex given that you have to "earn" the right to be able to do things like flag content - primarily to prevent abuse, and then you only get a certain limit so you can't go overboard and report everything someone does.

We get some chronic over-reporters - sometimes it can be difficult to find the balance between encouraging your members to report problems, while also keeping control over those members who over do it (not the enthusiastic contributors who report lots - they are fine ... I'm referring to those people who repeatedly report the same members who they have a personal grudge against).

That's something that I quite liked about the Reputation system on vBulletin, we could limit the number of reputation kudos someone gave on the same person before needing to share it around some more - although the users did sometimes get frustrated with that, and I recognise that reports are by no means the same as Reputation/Kudos.

Either way, I think having a set of pre-defined reasons (and possibly suggested actions as per the OP) is a good idea.

I would strongly encourage the XF devs to spend a lot of time reworking the reporting system for XF 2.1 to allow it to meet our needs going forward - the current system is a good start, but nowhere near sophisticated enough for our requirements now.

Top Bottom