Implemented [Suggestion] Make member list a usergroup option

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm running a forum and some users are complaining that the member list is visible for guests/unregistered users. Because the member list shows a photo with a name, they asked me to make it only visible for registered users.
I've been looking in the Xenforo-permissions, but haven't been able to find a permission for the member list.
So my suggestion is to add an extra option to the basic permissions : View Memberlist.

For those who want to hide the member list from guests, here's a quick and dirty edit, but it works.

Open the member_list template.

Look for this line second from the top:
Code:
<xen:h1>{xen:phrase registered_members}</xen:h1>

Directly after add this:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">

So it looks like this:
Code:
<xen:h1>{xen:phrase registered_members}</xen:h1>
<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}">

Then right at the bottom of the same template, look for:
Code:
</xen:sidebar>

Directly after add this:
Code:
<xen:else />
This content is visible to members only.
</xen:if>

So it looks like this:
Code:
</xen:sidebar>
<xen:else />
This content is visible to members only.
</xen:if>

You can obviously change the text to whatever you wish, or even insert a template there, etc.

Make sure user registrations in the ACP are set correctly to hide profiles, etc. from guests.
That way new members don't have to worry about doing it.

Hope that helps.

Mucho thanks to Brogan for researching that hack, it works perfectly, and you can apply it anywhere you want to shut out unregistered visitors.

I used it on forum_list, search_form_post, online_list and news_feed_page_global as well as member_list, and now an unregistered user can't get any member information anywhere.

Perfect, if that's what you're looking for.

Name or email address can be entered.
So it would be fairly simple to scrape the user names from the member list:http://xenforo.com/community/members/

I see very little use for a member list.
On a rare event, someone might use Find Member, but that doesn't mean there needs to be a Member List.
Highest-Posting Members ... useful.
Newest Members ... useful.
But why an entire member list ?
A member list seems like something that "Might" be useful for an admin, but for the entire forum to have access to it .... I just can't think up a use.
To top it off, having this list viewable by guests ? That just doesn't make any sense to me. Why would this be a good idea ? If there is some fringe use .... is it worth it considering the demostrated security risks ?

Could someone outline how an entire forum's member list should be accessible by guests ?

Note: Has anyone seen the thread about "Hacked" ... it seems to be gone ? I was replying to it when it disappeared ?

Mucho thanks to Brogan for researching that hack, it works perfectly, and you can apply it anywhere you want to shut out unregistered visitors.

I used it on forum_list, search_form_post, online_list and news_feed_page_global as well as member_list, and now an unregistered user can't get any member information anywhere.

Perfect, if that's what you're looking for.

can this code be used somewhere to hide forum postings to non-members. I want to show the forum title, but not the contents to guests.

Thanks

There is a permission for that - View thread content.

Titles are visible, but not post content.

Otherwise make the forum inaccessible to guests and set up a link forum which is visible to guests and not visible to registered users.

can I do that for guests only and for one forum only? If not, I am not sure how to do what you are suggesting.

Thanks, Brogan.

Hi,

We had this feature in vBulletin and it's nice to have it in xenForo too :)
I am not talking about hiding it.. I am talking about turning it off so no one can use it.

Like if you support the idea.

Thanks

I am talking about disabling it globally and not as usergroup option.
They will work one in one. As a usergroup option gives you greater flexibility, its more likely to be implemented this way (ie, turn it off in Registered and it should be disabled throughout). However, the members list is no more in 1.2 (disabled by default), and is replaced by a "notable" members list where only a small subset of users are shown.

Top Bottom