[Suggestion] Make main page sidebar & main categories collapsible

I think this would be nice, but personally I would want the option to disallow the sidebar to be collapsed. I use the sidebar, like others - to pay bills via adverts. If those adverts can be hidden then nobody is going to want to advertise there.

Perhaps a generic collapse system + admin specifies which blocks can be collapsed, or is that going overboard?

I think this would be nice, but personally I would want the option to disallow the sidebar to be collapsed. I use the sidebar, like others - to pay bills via adverts. If those adverts can be hidden then nobody is going to want to advertise there.
Template edit = remove collapsebit.

I like the idea of disallowing certain areas from being collapsible. In either case, it would be really nice to have this as a feature. A lot of the time visitors only want t see the forums they actually participate in, so it helps remove screen clutter.

We are using jQuery guys!
#id.slideUp(400);

If it isn't implemented by default, it won't take too much to create a generic toggle graphic and assign it to a JS function then store in a cookie :)

Sorry Shanj.
Because XF utilises jQuery it allows us to create effects such as this without much problem. jQuery has a function named slideUp which can be used here to hide the categories. If you assign this slideUp function to an icon in the category menus then you can hide the menus. From here you need to store the state of the categories either in the database or in a cookie.

Sorry Shanj.
Because XF utilises jQuery it allows us to create effects such as this without much problem. jQuery has a function named slideUp which can be used here to hide the categories. If you assign this slideUp function to an icon in the category menus then you can hide the menus. From here you need to store the state of the categories either in the database or in a cookie.

OK I can understand that XF uses something called jQuery that makes sliding/ collapsing easy to do.
For the rest I'll ask a coder to look after me.

Apologies James I wasn't rebuking you for talking Russian at me. I was very gently making fun. It's very difficult to span a huge gap in expertise as I know from places where I am the expert. Thank you for explaining.

I know :P If I was worried I'dve used the Google translator ;)

I hope you understand my explanation a little more, if not I'll try and work on a modification as soon as I (finally) purchase my copy of XenForo.

Top Bottom