[Suggestion] LDAP Authentication

I'm working on this, trying to figure out how to tie into the current Zend_LDAP functionality to get it working.

Most people out there will never need to use LDAP. One of the main perceptions of XenForo is that it is lean and not bloated with things people will not sure, hence the modular architecture. I don't see LDAP authentication coming into the core soon. You can, if you want to, build an LDAP authentication module into XenForo.

clue, XenForo_ldap, and Zend_ldap.

Most people out there will never need to use LDAP. One of the main perceptions of XenForo is that it is lean and not bloated with things people will not sure, hence the modular architecture. I don't see LDAP authentication coming into the core soon. You can, if you want to, build an LDAP authentication module into XenForo.

clue, XenForo_ldap, and Zend_ldap.

I know we could write one, but if I wanted to get my developers writing stuff like this I wouldn't use xenforo I'd use phpBB. If I'm paying for something like xenforo I'd expect it to be functional in an enterprise environment, which means LDAP compatibility as standard. Even if it is a module, I'd expect it to be one supported by the company.

Though I do agree that most people won't use it so it probably isn't a priority from that point of view.

We would love to use Xenforo as an internal staff forum. We already operate internal tools (DeskPro ticketing system, Perforce etc) that authenticate thought AD\ LDAP and can hardly expect our users to treat a forum any differently. A pointless product for us without it – which is a shame, especially as you are expected to pay for it.

I think you would struggle to find a mainstream forum product that supports AD/LDAP out of the box.

It's a shame that it doesn't currently meet your requirements. Despite it missing that functionality, the product overall represents fantastic value for money.

Yes it is a great product Chris and I really like it, but I can't unleash it on to my users without at least giving them the ease of network authentication. I don't even need SSO with anything else - just ease of login and I have to say I've never found difficulty in finding at least LDAP support in products - some of which aren't mainstream at all. Kind of a pre-requisite these days I would have thought? Maybe not.

:/

I have to add comment to this as well. Am looking for forum software for the company I work for. One of our employees uses xenforo personally and has recommended it, but the lack of LDAP support is going to stop us. Yes we could add this, but I've not really got the time/resource to put something in place I'd expect as standard. Maybe you are just not interested in corporate sales but surely it's a lost opportunity!

Clunky PHPBB v3.0.12 is the best option here I'm afraid - especially in a AMP environment. I'm using that now.

I love Xenforo but it just doesn't cut it in a corporate environment requiring LDAP / AD.

I'm all in for LDAP integration and will help support the project financially.
Do I keep hearing an echo? :p
I notice you keep repeating this... but you haven't liked the first post in this thread (which indicates that it is something that is recommended to do to help get it implemented at some time - suggestions with low likes are not as likely to be implemented).

So, in a nutshell... like the first post instead of repeating the comment in every thread that mentions LDAP or another manner of logon authentication. ;)

Do I keep hearing an echo? :p
I notice you keep repeating this... but you haven't liked the first post in this thread (which indicates that it is something that is recommended to do to help get it implemented at some time - suggestions with low likes are not as likely to be implemented).

So, in a nutshell... like the first post instead of repeating the comment in every thread that mentions LDAP or another manner of logon authentication. ;)
Done, and will do.

Guys

Just a heads up if you are going to go ahead and develop LDAP or AD support in your product, you might want to look at the way the DeskPro (www.deskpro.com) guys have implemented their AD support ensuring the ease of using multiple domains.

The problem with the LDAP implementation in PHPBB3 is that is can only look at one domain, and if you operate multiple domains (which I imagine most corps running AD will do) LDAP won’t drill down through child domains. The DeskPro guys nailed it by implementing multiple AD user sources which can be looked up on a per DC basis by the user entering domain\username. Very tidy and works very well.

Just saying this so you don’t simply repeat PHPBB3’s failings in this area.

Top Bottom