[Suggestion] Importing vB Thanks to xF Likes

• I have been a member of a forum that used to have +/- rep, and there were good people that only received + rep for years.
  • They deleted all the - rep, and all the marginal people that posted BS previously then had *huge* positive rep.
I am just trying to point out an aspect of losing the -rep may, have since that was brought up.

4,000 installs of the thanks sounds like a lot, but I thought there were something like 140,000 vb licenses. It would also be interesting to know what versions of vb those 4000 thanks mods were running on.

• I have been a member of a forum that used to have +/- rep, and there were good people that only received + rep for years.
  • They deleted all the - rep, and all the marginal people that posted BS previously then had *huge* positive rep.
I am just trying to point out an aspect of losing the -rep may, have since that was brought up.

4,000 installs of the thanks sounds like a lot, but I thought there were something like 140,000 vb licenses. It would also be interesting to know what versions of vb those 4000 thanks mods were running on.
It may not be a lot compared to how many vB installs there are, but that's a huge number for mod downloads.

Also, Grover, while that is a mod, the OP pointed out that it's a very popular mod, and XenForo provides the same functionality as the mod, by default, so why not allow people (over 4,000) who have the mod installed, easily move that data over? If I have a semi-large board, with "thanks" all over the place, I'd rather not lose that data when I switch over.

Even as a plugin, this is a great idea.

Same here. My members would hate to lose those (again, because we already did that once with a reset).

Well most modifications don't get many installs. But the vast number of installs for the Post Thanks mod, I think illustrates how much vB needs/people want a 'Like' system. The reputation system on vB is not quite right and compared to the thanks feature, I don't think many people use it at all.
So it would be a shame, considering that there are 792,632 records in our post_thanks table, if
  • all the effort made by our members to thank people and
  • all that data within our forum indicating how useful and appreciative our members are
is lost when we swap to xF.

I am very sorry, but that is the risk of installing Mods. Obviously. Ofcourse I do understand you guys that you will loose your 'thanks' data, but that is not the point of my feedback. Surely, when you install a Mod you realize it is not part of the default functionality (that's why it's a Mod in the first place). Every importer out there focuses -understandably- on the default database that competitive products ship with.

I just have problems getting my head around suggestions that ask for a stock facility to import data from a hack (!) into XenForo. Yes, I know XF has the likes system and yes I understand it is by itself actually a great idea to be able to move that thanks-data over to XF. I understand. But to ask for it to be default functionality: that was the part I don't get really.

This (otherwise great idea) is so clearly suited for a XF plugin/third party importer. Why does it need to be default functionality? That's my point. :) Hope you guys find a solution!

Ok with regard to the issue of any 'risk' when installing mods, I think most mods are installed because they are considered a good idea, or even that the community needs them.
Any serious forum owner will consider putting resources into continuing this functionality should the risk of it being unavailable in future versions of the software come to fruition. We have happily paid for some functionality.
Either way, the community itself does not know the functionality is a mod, nor do they care. They like the functionality and want to continue having it. The like system will continue to provide this functionality. Our users, however, will not appreciate former thanks being erased and I am not going to let it happen.
If the guys don't put it into the default installer, and nobody makes an importer for this, I will pay for one.

Though I don't agree with you, I see your point that this may well be better suited to being a plugin. If not here, then where instead do you recommend I post this suggestion?
I think it's a good idea to have a 'Modifications needed' forum, but since there isn't one, I'm going to continue posting suggestions here since there is no where else to post them.

I just have problems getting my head around suggestions that ask for a stock facility to import data from a hack (!) into XenForo. Yes, I know XF has the likes system and yes I understand it is by itself actually a great idea to be able to move that thanks-data over to XF. I understand. But to ask for it to be default functionality: that was the part I don't get really.
XenForo has thanks. The mod is popular. We're not asking for an import to take a vB mod and import data into a XF mod. We want a really popular mod from vB with the same functionality, to be easily imported into XF, which has the feature by default.

Besides, the worst question is the one unasked. What's the worst M&K will say? No? Then we know some developer should make a plugin.

Ok with regard to the issue of any 'risk'.... will pay for one.

I sure do understand the importance of this thanks functionality on your site, Stuart. For all clarity: my feedback was in no way meant to 'wipe away' (I have no clue how to say it in English ;)) your needs (or... you :p).

Though I don't agree with you, I see your point that this may well be better suited to being a plugin. If not here, then where instead do you recommend I post this suggestion?
I think it's a good idea to have a 'Modifications needed' forum, but since there isn't one, I'm going to continue posting suggestions here since there is no where else to post them.

Aha, I understand where you are coming from, thanks. You have put out several great suggestions, like this for example: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-functionality.2550/ (which is also a good candidate for a Plugin, IMHO) and with this thanks-request it came accross to me that you really want this as default XF-importer functionality, since you stated: 'Could you please include a facility in your importer...'.

One can always try to ask, yes. :) I just do not see it happening that a forum product keeps in consideration data generated by third-party hacks to be imported.

Let's hope XF get's released soon and a Mod forum like that will be created so people who have needs like these can be served through new XF Plugins.

One can always try to ask, yes. :) I just do not see it happening that a forum product keeps in consideration data generated by third-party hacks to be imported.
Just because it's third-party, doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered. If it's a quality product that a significant amount of people use, then it may help XenForo in the long-run, rather than hurt it. They shouldn't rule it out because someone other than vB made it.

I sure do understand the importance of this thanks functionality on your site, Stuart. For all clarity: my feedback was in no way meant to 'wipe away' (I have no clue how to say it in English ;)) your needs (or... you :p).
Didn't for a moment think that you were being personal. Just expressing your views which are as valid as any.

I would not expect an official importer from XenForo's team for a third party vB hack. That said, it would be nice if another third party (a fourth party??) were to write one.

In my view, a "nice to have" but not any sort of showstopper.

If the import process is pluggable (I'm not sure if it is), perhaps creators of these mods could create a plugin to import hacks into the XF during imports? Or provide a plugin to do this?

I don't see why Kier and Mike should take time out to import data from other modifications, even if they are popular. I'd rather have them work on what's built into XenForo and then import default data from other software solutions. There would be too many problems that could come up with trying to import data from a modified installation, especially if there are modifications that could create conflicts during export. That's extra upkeep time/troubleshooting that I don't want spent on third-party products. I believe it should be the creators of the mods to provide import scripts for their mods into XF from whatever software they're transferring from.

I am not sure you can just inject your own module in to the vb3 importer, but I think it's reasonable to assume you can make your own to show up in the list, looking specifically for the db/table/data and convert it over.
As if it was another import script.

So it can be extended to custom modifications?
Yes, absolutely.

The benefit of building everything from scratch has been that we can build systems that are generic and highly pluggable from the outset. For example, you could write an application that creates content that is 'likeable', generates alerts and publishes to the news feed with very little effort on your part.

Yes, absolutely.

The benefit of building everything from scratch has been that we can build systems that are generic and highly pluggable from the outset. For example, you could write an application that creates content that is 'likeable', generates alerts and publishes to the news feed with very little effort on your part.
My main dev is probably thinking of breaking off his wedding for you right now ;).

Yes, absolutely.

I look forward to that.

Just wondering if anyone has worked out the process that would be needed to convert vb Thanks into xf Likes?
A script or even some SQL advice would be helpful. Thanks!

OK, got it...
First and foremost, make sure that you preserved post and user ids during the convert from vb to xf.

You can convert vb "Thanks" into xf "Likes" with this query:

insert into xf.xf_liked_content (like_id, content_type, content_id, like_user_id, like_date, content_user_id) select null, 'post', t.postid, t.userid, t.date, p.userid from vb.vb_post_thanks t join vb.vb_post p on (t.postid = p.postid) order by t.id;

(Obviously change the database names and table prefixes to match your situation.)

If you get a key violation error, you have duplicate thanks in the vb database.
Find the problem userid/postid combinations using something like this, and delete them:

select count(*), userid, postid from vb.post_thanks group by userid, postid order by 1;

Afterwards, you need to rebuild the like data. Jake Bunce contributed a script for that here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/is-there-a-way-to-rebuild-post-profile-post-like-caches.42384/
Thanks Jake!

I hope you find this conversion helpful.

Top Bottom