Lack of interest [Suggestion] Highlight feature to highlight occurrences of words

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
What I loved very much when the new vB4 style saw the light, was this:

highlight.webp

It not only looks great (yellow on black/grey), but at the same time it's very usable.

When you do a Search, vBulletin4 shows the found results highlighted like this. Making it very easy for the enduser to see immediately where in the postings the words can be found you've searched for.

Try it here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?359392-seems-pretty-quiet-here&highlight=xenforo

I miss this in XenForo.

(and no... I am not trying to 'make' XenForo a vBulletin-clone... I am just giving an example of what I believe is really good UI, and in this case it happens to be vBulletin).

Can this be included maybe and how do other people think about it?

I would like to kindly re-request this suggestion from James and myself. At the moment when you do a search on a word in XenForo, you can view the posts where this word is found, but it is often rather hard to actually find (with your eyes) the word in those postings, especially when those postings are big/consisting of lots of text. There is no visual indicator, so our eyes have to scan the postings manually.

With this software at hand, it would be very welcome if the software could do the scan for us automatically, by highlighting the found phrases. It will really improve the userfriendlyness/usefullness of the XenForo search system.

Please [like] James' first posting if you agree with this.

In the meantime, you can always use CTRL+F which all browsers support.

I know, thanks :). 'In the meantime'... do those words mean that your psychic capabilities offer us an insight in a future XenForo with 'search-highlight' functionality? If so then you have forgotten to press an important link (called 'Like') in the first posting! As a psychic you surely understand the importance of the 'Law of Attraction'? ;)

do those words mean that your psychic capabilities offer us an insight in a future XenForo with 'search-highlight' functionality?
Not at all, I was just offering a solution until and if that particular feature is ever coded.

Personally I don't think it's required as I find CTRL+F to be more than adequate for the task :)

Not at all, I was just offering a solution until and if that particular feature is ever coded.

Ofcourse. Do English people have a different sense of humor? ;)

Personally I don't think it's required as I find CTRL+F to be more than adequate for the task :)

So you are using both the XenForo search and after that you use [Ctrl]-[F] to actually find the words you were searching for? For me this is an extra task that should not be needed if XenForo would actually provide visual indicators (highlights) for it's search-results. There is not much I like about vBulletin 4's UI, but those highlighted results are a very handy improvement over the vB 3.8 series. Hopefully XenForo can improve on this as well.

Ofcourse. Do English people have a different sense of humor? ;)
I wouldn't know, I'm Welsh ;)

So you are using both the XenForo search and after that you use [Ctrl]-[F] to actually find the words you were searching for?
In the rare instances I need to, yes.
Usually though the search results are sufficient though as the searched for words are highlighted along with a snippet so I can click on the results which seem most relevant.

My current forum software (not vB) does exactly what you are suggesting but honestly I've never missed it since I started using XenForo.

I wouldn't know, I'm Welsh ;)

I was afraid this answer would come ;).

In the rare instances I need to, yes.
Usually though the search results are sufficient though as the searched for words are highlighted along with a snippet so I can click on the results which seem most relevant.

Indeed, but the initial results screen (with an overview of the posts) only shows 1 result-line per post with 1 instance of the searched word displayed as bold. On my platform users and staff often post extensive content and we use the search a lot. Just do a search for 'tangerine' here on XenForo and see if you can easily spot the word in that one posting that comes up. Yes, you are able to see it clearly in the initial search-result yes, but your eyes have to search for it regardless when you click on the posting itself. Now, imagine the posting consists of more results then just 1. Ofcourse, [Ctrl]-[F] is there to the rescue, but surely... the software itself needs to be able to do it? The software should provides us with handy search benefits, instead of having us relying on manual [CRTL]-[F] tasks where we have to type the same word in all over again...

Such much great arguments here and still only James and myself see the benefits? :);). There is a 'like' option on the first posting you know...
tongue.png

Krstep, I can not post on your profile or send you a 'Conversation' (--> my goodness, how awkward is this word actually!), so I have to do it here: thanks for your 'like', but you need to like the first posting in order for it to have any weight to get attention to this suggestion. Thanks.

What is wrong with cmd+f (control f for windows users) ?..

Visually highlighing the word/s you've searched for allows your eye to very quicky jump to the important part of the post without any additional actions to perform.

We're not all geeks you know ... :D

You don't have to be a geek to use a browser.

You should have been sat next to me yesterday when I was trying to give phone support for a browser problem to a 65 year old non-geek lady who couldn't find the address bar!!! I ended up leaving the office and driving across town to her house because there was no way she was ever going to be able to download the remote control software plugin. :ROFLMAO:

If it's just a case of a single switch in the ACP (Highlight searched words Yes/No) and a bit of template code, then I would hope the XF chaps would at least consider it. Sometimes, the simple things make all the difference. ;)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Top Bottom