Lack of interest [Suggestion] Google Map Embed

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Peter

I'm sure embedded maps is useful for quick display of location type post, events, point of reference, etc. but it doesn't look like it's currently supported. Would you like to see this feature?

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hmm... I'm getting towards: geotagging, or even profiles. Might be useful in the mobile interface. Sorry, yes - back to you. I quite like this, though it might want a little bit more development and substance.

If/when custom BB Code is possible than that could be easily achieved by substituting the HTML for use within posts.

Are you saying that with BB code, I can simply embed the map and have it display in a non static way?
Yes.
I use BB Code to display iframes on my own forum.

But with Google Maps is actually dynamic, in the sense that you can drag the map, etc.

The Google Maps API is capable of generating static images with a given location -> Google Static Maps API
It should be very easy to combine that with a custom BB code. :)

Edit:
v2 of that API can even handle markers and stuff like this. Of course this doesn't allow dragging and zooming but one could link to the dynamic version of the map instead.

You don't need the API.

Just create a BB Code such as [GMAP]{coordinates}[/GMAP] and then substitute that with the iframe embed code.

It really is that simple, I just tested it on my own site.

Don't be scared by the term API, it's nothing complicated. :)

You don't need an API-key anymore, it's really only a Url like this:
http://maps.google.com/maps/api/sta...+York,NY&zoom=14&size=512x512&maptype=roadmap &markers=color:blue|label:S|40.702147,-74.015794&markers=color:green|label:G|40.711614,-74.012318 &markers=color:red|color:red|label:C|40.718217,-73.998284&sensor=false

This generates an image like this:

staticmap

Yes but using BB Code generates a dynamic frame which works exactly the same as if you're on the Google Maps site.

you can do it without an iframe, also.

Here goes my broken record again: If we had custom thread fields, the first post in a thread could require a link to the gMap embed and other fields related to the mapped locale, then all subsequent threads could be a discussion of this locale. An instant directory.

Ok, we agree about the need for a Google Maps integration but we have a different opinion on the level of integration.

I am perfectly fine with a simple images that links to the dynamic version and I really don't want to have Google Maps squeezed into an iframe - imagine what happens if several users would like to show their location.
That's just me though. :)

The right way will be only as addon.
*sigh*

and here we go again.

The more bbCodes you include with forum software, the more comfortable users will be to learn and use those bbCodes. How people people out there are a member of ONE forum only?

A Google Map embed bbCode would be a few lines of code as a bbCode. I think it should be included.

i love the idea... a long time ago, i was looking for one to put in my vb board (member map)... i couldn't find one with the specs i was looking for. I needed a member map to see the country location of all the users... no street view, no clicking...just a small pin in the country ....

Top Bottom