1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Google Map Embed

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Peter, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Peter

Peter Active Member

I'm sure embedded maps is useful for quick display of location type post, events, point of reference, etc. but it doesn't look like it's currently supported. Would you like to see this feature?

aculate likes this.
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Hmm... I'm getting towards: geotagging, or even profiles. Might be useful in the mobile interface. Sorry, yes - back to you. I quite like this, though it might want a little bit more development and substance.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If/when custom BB Code is possible than that could be easily achieved by substituting the HTML for use within posts.

4. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

The right way will be only as addon.

5. Peter

Peter Active Member

Are you saying that with BB code, I can simply embed the map and have it display in a non static way?

6. Brogan

Yes.
    I use BB Code to display iframes on my own forum.

But with Google Maps is actually dynamic, in the sense that you can drag the map, etc.

7. dmnkhhn

dmnkhhn Active Member

The Google Maps API is capable of generating static images with a given location -> Google Static Maps API
    It should be very easy to combine that with a custom BB code. :)

Edit:
    v2 of that API can even handle markers and stuff like this. Of course this doesn't allow dragging and zooming but one could link to the dynamic version of the map instead.

8. Brogan

You don't need the API.

Just create a BB Code such as [GMAP]{coordinates}[/GMAP] and then substitute that with the iframe embed code.

It really is that simple, I just tested it on my own site.

9. dmnkhhn

dmnkhhn Active Member

Don't be scared by the term API, it's nothing complicated. :)

You don't need an API-key anymore, it's really only a Url like this:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/api/sta...+York,NY&zoom=14&size=512x512&maptype=roadmap &markers=color:blue|label:S|40.702147,-74.015794&markers=color:green|label:G|40.711614,-74.012318 &markers=color:red|color:red|label:C|40.718217,-73.998284&sensor=false

This generates an image like this:

[​IMG]

10. Brogan

Yes but using BB Code generates a dynamic frame which works exactly the same as if you're on the Google Maps site.

11. Awesome-o

Awesome-o Active Member

you can do it without an iframe, also.

Here goes my broken record again: If we had custom thread fields, the first post in a thread could require a link to the gMap embed and other fields related to the mapped locale, then all subsequent threads could be a discussion of this locale. An instant directory.

12. dmnkhhn

dmnkhhn Active Member

Ok, we agree about the need for a Google Maps integration but we have a different opinion on the level of integration.

I am perfectly fine with a simple images that links to the dynamic version and I really don't want to have Google Maps squeezed into an iframe - imagine what happens if several users would like to show their location.
    That's just me though. :)

13. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

*sigh*

and here we go again.

The more bbCodes you include with forum software, the more comfortable users will be to learn and use those bbCodes. How people people out there are a member of ONE forum only?

A Google Map embed bbCode would be a few lines of code as a bbCode. I think it should be included.

Digital Doctor likes this.
  14. Peter

Peter Active Member

Has anyone tested the google map embed on beta using bbcode? Curious as to how it works/looks.

15. aculate

aculate Well-Known Member

i love the idea... a long time ago, i was looking for one to put in my vb board (member map)... i couldn't find one with the specs i was looking for. I needed a member map to see the country location of all the users... no street view, no clicking...just a small pin in the country ....

16. Brogan

Currently there is no way to define custom BBCode, which is what you need to allow an iframe to be posted in a thread.

You can however do it in a Page no problem: http://www.forum.onebuzymama.com/pages/map/

17. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I want to verify if currently, the admin is not able to post html code or iframe snippet in a post?