1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] Forum Icons

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by KURTZ, Jul 31, 2010.

1. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

i would suggest you to put this feature by default (like the phpBB), so the customers can put a specific icon per single forum (i mean not the status icon like vB) ... exactly like i did on my board (http://www.fniv.it/board/supported-games/) with an add-on ... :)

Dadparvar, 51463, empire and 34 others like this.
  2. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Agreed. A large number of people are more iconoliterate than literate ;).
    Seriously, people respond better to clear images, so having the option of using them to give forums a clear identity is a good idea.

And just to show that it's not just a single purpose thing: it'd also be very useful for Forum Sponsorship purposes. We do something similar via template hacks in vB but it'd be nice to have it built in.

3. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

yes, i'm asking for cause i saw that the phpBB owns this feature ...

4. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

No, after finishing forums, they should write a suggestion management system, complete with up/down voting on suggestions, giving suggestions a rating on "difficulty to implement", marking the "likelyhood of implementation", wiki editing of the actual solution/suggestion so all the related ideas and improvements are not lost in an enormous thread etc. :) ;)

5. Tigratrus

Touché! :)

6. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I like this idea, though I'd be fine with writing a small mod to just grab the icon from a directory based on the forum ID, and just set opacity to be lowered if there are no new posts.

7. ---MAD---

---MAD--- Well-Known Member

I really like how the display picture of the user who posted the thread is used instead of a thread icon like in other forum solutions. This made me think that maybe each forum should have a unique icon for it as well?

For example a sports forum could have a racket and a ball whilst a movies forum could have a camera.

vB has a plugin that can make this possible but I think it would be a nice touch for XF to have by default.

Edit: Oops, made an error in my title and can't seem to fix it.

wedgar and Abdulaziz like this.
  8. Floris

Floris Guest

I do not think they have this in version 1 supported, and seeing how low the % is of sites actually using that feature, I am not sure if it will make it in. Personally, I like it.

9. Tigratrus

I tend to think that a lot more sites would use it if it was easier to make work :). IIRC the template changes needed were a bit of a PITA when Susan and I did the style and layout tweaking for http://www.wombtobloom.com/forums/ :)

10. ---MAD---

---MAD--- Well-Known Member

I do agree.

11. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

If there is such feature, then I think many admins will make use of it in a way or another. I like it too.

12. welshstew

welshstew Active Member

It would certainly help the individual forums stand out a little more - I likey

13. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

as a lazy person, I would never spend the time to bother thinking up icons for each forum :D

14. Chris M

Chris M Active Member

With the ability to turn them on or off, sure. However an image for every forum would increase page loading times.

15. Abdulaziz

Abdulaziz Member

I use this feature in my vB forum. I'd like to see it here also.

16. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

17. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

If there is no feature for this, I will probably be doing one myself.

18. hcmagix

hcmagix Active Member

Further when xF ready to use I like icons in front of forums

Attached Files:

19. hcmagix

hcmagix Active Member

20. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

don't forget to give a 'like' in the first post ;)