Lack of interest [Suggestion] Force Read Thread/Conversation

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Decent60

vBulletin has a mod that forces a member group to read a Thread (takes it to the beginning post).
This is greatly helpful for important news, announcements, and the like without having to create a Portal page (for those that don't use it) specifically to include that information. Once the Force Read is in-place, users couldn't do anything until they clicked the button to take them to the thread.
However, I wish that it would be taken a step farther than just a force read thread, I would it to include Conversations as well.
On our forum, we do get people who are a bit unruly on the forum and sometimes we send them a PM concerning about it. Not all read the PMs (there is a "Read Receipt" put on all PMs that concern official forum business), so this would be very handy to have.
Only thing I would like to see done different, besides adding Conversations to the list, would be instead of just going by usergroup, it could also to specific members. For example, I want JimBob, DuglyDoright, DeXtEr87 and Marco-Polo (who all are registered members) specifically to be forced to read the rules of the site, but I don't want all registered members to be forced to reread it. Or maybe I want all Graphic Team group, JimBob and DeXtEr87 to read it a specific thread about some sort of news.
I hope I made this clear enough lol

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Anyone ever does that "force you to read a thread" thing on me ...*especially* that version that won't let you click off the page until a countdown a finished.....and I'm gone, never to return.

I get quite enough rules and regulations shoved down my throat at work all day, if I get anyone trying it in my leisure time, I'll spend said time elsewhere.

In short, people have NO idea how patronising and annoying this is.

So, for a default feature, no thanks. For those who want to kill their communities with power-trips, fine, an addon will do the job.

I wouldn't like to see this injected into the core project and also feel this would be better as an add-on. Not that I would use it even if it did make it in the add-on forum.

Anyone ever does that "force you to read a thread" thing on me ...*especially* that version that won't let you click off the page until a countdown a finished.....and I'm gone, never to return.

I get quite enough rules and regulations shoved down my throat at work all day, if I get anyone trying it in my leisure time, I'll spend said time elsewhere.

In short, people have NO idea how patronising and annoying this is.

So, for a default feature, no thanks. For those who want to kill their communities with power-trips, fine, an addon will do the job.

Rules and regulations are just one small part of it's uses.
Normally we use this for major announcements, such as planned downtime, major changes or contests. The fact that we could use this to remind our troublesome members of our site's rules, things they've done and ways we can work to help them correct their problems. Sometimes after talking with our members we do make changes, for "better" or "worse".
The current one that I use, doesn't have a countdown, but rather just takes you to the thread.
We've been using this for years and our community has only grown since this was implemented (although it's not the reason why we've grown :p ).

Top Bottom